Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rattly Dash... Lets fix this...

crackah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Okay guys.

As a few people who have VE's, the dash after a few 1000kms starts to get a nice rattle..

Mine is bad when:

- rough roads
- railway tracks
- largeish potholes
- general bumps

mine is shocking... very annoying and makes the car actually unpleasant to drive.

So im making a appeal, to people with similar issues, to lets actually find a way to fix it.

im happy to make a PDF and doccument how to fix it for everyone.

Just really want to fix it, have googled and searched everywhere....

crackah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Good one...

Problem, its just so damn rattle everywhere.
Mine has a serious creak from the front right. This one is particularly annoying.

I have seriously tried to pin point and its just so hard to figure out.

My Q is, is it worth going to holden, buying 40 clips and replacing them all? Take it all apart, and bit by bit tighten and fix?

PS, If mine isnt noisy at the dash, its the door seals, or the sun roof,
working my way through all :)

crackah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
ooo and tin, how did you fix the rattles?

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
for the creaking, yes it's definitely worth getting clips - had all mine replaced (under warranty though) and I'd say it improved the creaking by about 50% - almost bearable - almost. The clips in my dash had lost tension (for some reason - probably because they're ****). There's still creak right in the centre of the dash - I can push on the smooth grey garnish around the centre speaker and it stops - but neither I nor the dealership can figure out how to get it to stop completely.

One of the rattles I had was a clip that had fallen out from behind the silver dash garnish - the one that REALLY bugged me - that I was convinced was in the door - was actually a panel that had come loose in the driver's footwell - I was never able to pinpoint it while I was driving but found that panel to be loose when I was cleaning the inside - when they checked it out, something had snapped off it - so they replaced the panel and all is quiet - for now at least. But it was the entire panel rattling about - explains why it was so loud!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I've noticed on very quiet rattle coming from the driver's door trim, but right up in the top, rear corner - right next to my shoulder - not even sure what's in there to rattle around - it must only be tiny, so I'm not going to pull the trim out for it yet - but will if it gets any worse.

crackah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
damn mate.

Im going to have to look at getting some more clips.

I will need to take it all apart.Is there any guides that you know of?

Also, yeah its so hard to pinpoint. My door trim rattles too :(

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
mate there's that many bits to pull off the dash, I don't trust myself to do it all. But then, it's not a definite thing that holden will be able to suss it all out either - they've had my dash in and out of the ute A LOT! It has taken months to get it to this point. Still not 100% but I get the feeling that I'd be pushing my luck to try any more - each time those clips come out they get weaker - The dealership I go to replace them if they have to pull something out. I've had 4 sets in the centre console facia alone - and I think just that face plate is held in by 6-8 clips - it's crazy how many there are - 4 or 5 for the centre speaker grille - there are THOUSANDS! It is the most horrible dash design - they were never built to last, mate - they were built cheap - and you don't realise that until you go pulling stuff out.

crackah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais 6.0
Damn, that hurts a little haha...

I will head down tomorrow and buy a heap,

I will do it this weekend I think. Lets see how we go with it.

Are they all the same? or different sizes

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I can't remember - I think all the white clips are the same - but there's (I want to call them pine tree clips?) no idea what they're called - the normal black 2 piece clips they've been using for years. The parts shop will be able to tell you for sure. It's VERY common - apparently the service centre I go to actually has a timed competition running to see who can do a clip changeover the fastest! Ridiculous!