Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rattly exhaust

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
BF fairmont (when im allowed)
hey all! my brother borrowed my car last nite and when i got it back this mornin, the exhaust rattled when i started the car.. so i go have a look, and ye u can actually see it shakin around and it moves around like a crazy MF..
how do u fix it?? and should i kick my bros ass?? haha
thanks!

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
probably one of the rubbers holding it broken. have a look underneath you will see brackets on the exhaustr pipe that the rubbers go on

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
sounds like he bottomed out hardcore in it (id kick his ass)...he's either broken at exhaust mount (aka, exhaust rubber), or the mount has come off the bracket...if its not that it could be he has broken a bracket completely.
another thought (although not likely from how you discribed it) is that the cat's heat shield has come loose, that can make a wicked rattle.

5600RPM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8
If its moving hes probably somehow broken one of the rubber rings that holds the exhaust, like everyone has said. However, if you fix that and the problem persists, he may have broken lose one of the plates in the resonator... Thats happened to me and its a bitch.

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
24-10-06_1828.jpg
i decided 2 take a pic as im stumped.. the rubbers look old but they aint broken.. and it looks kinda odd, but not like something has come unstuck...
argh!

stylin_vr2

Reaction score
Members Ride
If its moving hes probably somehow broken one of the rubber rings that holds the exhaust, like everyone has said. However, if you fix that and the problem persists, he may have broken lose one of the plates in the resonator... Thats happened to me and its a bitch.

so the rubbers are good.. how do i no if its option 2??
im definately kickin his ass!!!:ranting:

zegerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive MANUAL
buddy look further back... behind the muffler there are some more there... jack up the back of the car so u can get rite under there and look for broken flanges also...