Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB20 into a VK

RobMooar

Reaction score
Members Ride
_
Hi All

I was just wondering if anyone has put a RB20 into a VK (non turbo). I brought a origional low kms RB20 out of a VL, and now think it would be a good idea to put it into my VK as a around town car for my Mrs (as the 2 3.8's drink the gas like it's going outa fashion).

Any advice/information anyone can give me on this conversion would be great (except for the "don't do it" advice;-)

Cheers

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
as far as im aware (i have done it) the floor pan is duff, and you need to do some gouging on it

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Ther's no such thing as an rb20, There's rb25's rb26's rb30 and then there's sr20's i assume you meant rb30. You just need to make room for the cat but everything else is pretty much bolt on if you have the right bits

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
There is a RB20, its a 2 litre 6, same as its big sister RB30. The RB20 motors were in VLs, but not sold here in Australia, the NZ export program used RB20 motors.
EDIT Have a look here http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=35322
and you will see LC6, 2.0 6 cylinder donk.

Last edited:

RobMooar

Reaction score
Members Ride
_
Hi All

VK_308 said:
VL's have RB30's in them... are you sure its an RB20 and not the 3 litre? cause if its the 20 its not out of a VL, not a stock one anyway
Over here in NZ we have both RB30's, and RB20's in VL's

Pub24/7 said:
Ther's no such thing as an rb20, There's rb25's rb26's rb30 and then there's sr20's i assume you meant rb30. You just need to make room for the cat but everything else is pretty much bolt on if you have the right bits
This is definitly a RB20, it's stamped on the block.

Thanks for the info page SL/ENUT.. interesting reading.

RobMooar

Reaction score
Members Ride
_
haloeight said:
as far as im aware (i have done it) the floor pan is duff, and you need to do some gouging on it
Cool, cheers for this, is the gouging for the cataletic converter? If so, I may not need to do this as I don't think it's law to have them over here :yeah:

Are there any differences in the engine mounts?

nizmovk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon
rob, im currently doing RB30 conv... and no hassles so far changed radiator support from VK to VL, VL crossmember and gearbox support needs work. I just got a VL (trade me) cheap and swapping everything over. Also handy dor pinching bolts etc off...

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
Pub24/7 said:
better do ya homework

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Well sorry i didn't realise i live in australia and don't really give a **** about nz