Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB30 Cam Advance 1 notch?

BigOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL vacationer 3.0l
We are sending our 3.0L VL for it's first tune for 12 yrs, cause it's running rough when cold, and just getting grotty.
My question is, is it really worth it advancing the cam 1 notch on the wheel. It is family transport, mostly short trips around the city, we are interested in smooth running, driveability, and economy.

If I advance the cam, is there any problem getting the distributor to the re-timed position? I heard that it runs out of slot to get back to 15deg BTDC.
Is there any benefit to running slightly advanced ignition timimg?

thanks for any help.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
mate i would suggest clean inner throttlebody butterfly and housing, plenum and intake runners.(Or just plenum if u dont want to pull it apart too far.
New spark plugs/ leads/dizzy cup and clean all electrical plugs as well as light sand of the dizzy rotor. Oil Change with oil 20W50 viscosity(Penrite/CastrolGTX2) and some good tectaloy coolant 100 gold.
I would not touch the cam timing.
Just use a timing light and set your timing between 15-17 where ever your car likes it with responsive power down low as well as top end.
get a performace panel air filter(K&N) clean the AAC valve on plenum as well.
Check all Vacuum hoses for leaks and cracks as well as intake piping for air leaks. put through some injector cleaner. New fuel filter and you should be sweet.
Should run like new being responsive when you need it and run smooth.
Should be able to balance a 50c Piece on it side on the rocker cover(Near oil Cap)

Goodluck