Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB30 into a VH - Need wiring diagrams

Prud

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore
Hey all,

I've just finished the mechanical part of converting my old VH to RB30E power.

I dropped out the old blue 5 cylinder beasty (one gave up the ghost) which kinda forced my hand on the conversion. Used the VL K-frame and now the VH is basically a VL underneath - gearbox, diff, front struts. The VL diff is a touch wider than the VH, but I'm running stockies so it's not a big deal.

But I am a little stumped. I'm on the hunt for engine bay wiring diagrams so I can fire up the new beasty. Has anyone wired one of these things up? Or have scans of the diagrams? The RB30E came from the wreckers with the harness and computer laying on the block - the harness hasn't been disconnected from the motor, just from the car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Prud

thakillav8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 202 EFI
I've found a wiring diagram for the engine bay area for the RB30 which might be useful

wiring6.jpg

They're the same between auto and manual, as far as I know. Leave your footrest in, you'll miss it.

The wires can also be bridged on the firewall at the neutral safety switch plug (big grey plug with 8 wires coming out of it, to the right of the brake booster, leading down behind the motor - see diagram).

Number 55, or the highlighted section named "Grey", is the plug I'm refering to. It actually has 8 wires coming out of it (contrary to the diagram), and it connects to the neutral safety switch on the auto trans (tells the auto what gear you've selected). Once you're finished converting, simply cut this plug off (on the brake booster side), and bridge the wires in pairs until you get a combination that allows the car to turn over (there are two cobinations, one for Park, and one for Neutral). Unfortunately, I can't remember exactly what these combos are....maybe red with black stripe and pink? You could determine the correct wires by testing the circuit with a 9-V battery and have a speaker hooked up in a parallel circuit to the wires and listen for the speaker to go "pop" when you apply the voltage.

Prud

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore
Cheers mate.

I'm making progress, over halfway through the engine bay wiring now. All depends on time off from work. This time of year isn't a fun time to work in retail...

bec22

Reaction score
Members Ride
vhrb30/vxs11v6
prud
i swapped my vh 253 auto to a 202 manual then for a rb30 manual
best thing ever
light weight motor helps power to weight and cornering and 120kw dynoed
at the rear wheels it goes harder than the old 253[also dynoed @120kws]
is yours auto or manual if its manual you only need half the wiring
do your self a favour and get a manual
good luck

Prud

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore
Its all sorted now. Manuals and finding out that the "Auto dismantlers" had decided to hang onto quite a few sensors was the problem. Like the computer for the auto itself. In the end I bit the bullet and used professionals. Just not enough time to sort out a "complete" jigsaw that's missing pieces.

I'm now working through the teething problems - but it is a good little thing to drive!