Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB30 into VK Calais Conversion

njh1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais
Hi,

This is my first post... I'm working on installing an RB30 engine and 5-speed manual gearbox into a VK Calais (my son's first car project). Can anyone please advise how we should go about modifying/installing the exhaust system?

In particular, where is the best place to locate the catalytic converter, assuming we're going to use a set of extractors in place of the stock cast iron RB30 headers. We're also thinking about a 2.5" inch exhaust system from the cat back.

I know the VL Commodore floor pan on the passenger side was modified to fit the stock cat, so I'm interested in how others may have fitted the cat into the VK... without taking a big hammer to the floor pan.

Example photos would be great, if available.

Thanks in anticipation.

Regards,

Nick

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
you might be able to get it to hang abit lower but im fairly sure it bolts up from what i remember the floorpan was modified for transmission clearance

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
On my VK with a V6 the cat tucks up and the rear end flange is inline with the handbrake boot under neath, there is a little section there where it fits nicely on mine. have a quick look under yours and you should see the spot.

dasambo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Vacationer Waggon
Hi i have had a rb30 with 5 speed box in my vk for the past 11 years the best thing i ever did i used the vl extractors and cut the flange off the end and had a pipe welded and an aftermarket cat welded to pipe then 2.5 inch exhaust out to the rear .
Not having the flange on the cat ment that i didnt have to bash the floor in also if memory is correct i did have to lower the rear gearbox mount when i modified it to make clearence for the extractors from the floor i assume you have fitted the engine allready
Sam........... RB30/20