Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB30 NA mods

Snowfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
Thought i should start something for the trusty VL six. I'm pretty bent on putting together a half decent SOHC NA RB30, is anyone else ? Any ideas, advice , concepts or experience etc on this topic would be great. What does everyone think of some of the bolt on offerings around ? eg Commsport throttle bodies/plenums or Chiptorque chip/cam packages ? Powerchips ? etc..

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
Haha, it's a good idea snowfox but it really is a case of where to start?!? There are so so many performance parts and packages on the market. How about telling us what you'd like in an RB30.

D

dumpd6

I would like a quick as N/A RB30 maybe some thing that would beat a stock v8. maybe not dust it but still gives it a good run.. i dont like bolt on HP unless it has had all the money spent on the inernals aswell i think its cheating. u would have more enjoyment from beating some thing in a N/A than if you hav just gone out an screwd on a big fat ass super charger... it would all so sound killa if you heard some on saying " u know that sik as vs ss etc with that super charger? i seen it last night an this N/A VL(could be any thing) blew its doors off"

V

vltnitron

na power

my old na had 2.5" exhaust, extractors, pod filter, cold air intake and a heavy duty clutch. it made 96kw at wheels and was even with my mates vn 5lt which had a exhaust. :rofl:

Snowfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
haha, yeah minus the pod and thats how far I've got too.

What I would like in an RB30, well I know we are talking big bucks for good 400m times here. I was thinking of something in between your average VL and really well developed. Something to keep up with all the later model V6's and respectable fours i guess. I'd like to be a bit more unique than everyone else but still have money to buy lunch at the end of the day, and booze of course :drink:

On a side note, some piece of _____ backed into my front bumper today while i was parked in town, cracking it in two places. I've always said u couldn't own a nice car in this dump, looks like i was correct :ranting: If i catch up with them Hells coming with me.

Jeff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 4.2
Rb30

What I want is more torque low down (even if it means sacrificing some top end power).
Why? Because my RB30 is in a HZ one tonner!
A set of extractors, 2¼" exhaust and K&N filter helped a little.
Anyone got any suggestions? -I know, all you VL drivers just want heaps more power and revs; I used to be one of you too!
Jeff

Last edited:

Jeff

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 4.2
3,55 diff (standard 6 cylinder ratio) but 5th gear in nissan box gives overall top ratio virtually same as 3.08 diff (V8 ratio) with 4 speeder.
Would probably pull 3.36 but these are fairly scarce; definitely wouldn't use 3.08.
I also have a 4.44 -came with 202 and trimatic in another vehicle. Pulled it out real quick -good takeoff and just managed to wind up to 108km/hr with engine compliaining loudly.

RB20DETVL

Reaction score
Website
home.iprimus.com.au
Members Ride
83 VH SL/E soon to be 5L
Is there any reason you want to stay N/A? it is very costly to make some decent power out of an N/A engine.. it is much more sensible to just convert it to turbo....

well thats my opinion neways

R

Robfire

My VL has 2 1/2 exhaust with Genie extractors and a good filters and it beats standards off the line no dramas - its an auto tho so the 5 speeds kick it but still - it's a start.