Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB30 NA mods

Discussion in 'Straight 6 Development And Modification' started by Snowfox, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Snowfox

Snowfox New Member

Members Ride:
    VL Commodore SL
    Thought i should start something for the trusty VL six. I'm pretty bent on putting together a half decent SOHC NA RB30, is anyone else ? Any ideas, advice , concepts or experience etc on this topic would be great. What does everyone think of some of the bolt on offerings around ? eg Commsport throttle bodies/plenums or Chiptorque chip/cam packages ? Powerchips ? etc..

2. jetspin_vn

jetspin_vn JetSpin Racing Team

Members Ride:
    VN GTS
    Haha, it's a good idea snowfox but it really is a case of where to start?!? There are so so many performance parts and packages on the market. How about telling us what you'd like in an RB30.

3. dumpd6

dumpd6 Guest

I would like a quick as N/A RB30 maybe some thing that would beat a stock v8. maybe not dust it but still gives it a good run.. i dont like bolt on HP unless it has had all the money spent on the inernals aswell i think its cheating. u would have more enjoyment from beating some thing in a N/A than if you hav just gone out an screwd on a big fat ass super charger... it would all so sound killa if you heard some on saying " u know that sik as vs ss etc with that super charger? i seen it last night an this N/A VL(could be any thing) blew its doors off"

4. vltnitron

vltnitron Guest

na power

my old na had 2.5" exhaust, extractors, pod filter, cold air intake and a heavy duty clutch. it made 96kw at wheels and was even with my mates vn 5lt which had a exhaust. :rofl:

5. Snowfox

Snowfox New Member

Members Ride:
    VL Commodore SL
    haha, yeah minus the pod and thats how far I've got too.

What I would like in an RB30, well I know we are talking big bucks for good 400m times here. I was thinking of something in between your average VL and really well developed. Something to keep up with all the later model V6's and respectable fours i guess. I'd like to be a bit more unique than everyone else but still have money to buy lunch at the end of the day, and booze of course :drink:

On a side note, some piece of _____ backed into my front bumper today while i was parked in town, cracking it in two places. I've always said u couldn't own a nice car in this dump, looks like i was correct :ranting: If i catch up with them Hells coming with me.

6. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Members Ride:
    VH SLE 4.2
    Rb30

What I want is more torque low down (even if it means sacrificing some top end power).
    Why? Because my RB30 is in a HZ one tonner!
    A set of extractors, 2¼" exhaust and K&N filter helped a little.
    Anyone got any suggestions? -I know, all you VL drivers just want heaps more power and revs; I used to be one of you too!
    Jeff

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  7. Snowfox

Snowfox New Member

Members Ride:
    VL Commodore SL
    Hi Jeff, interesting combination, just wondering what sort of diff ratio u have there ?

8. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Members Ride:
    VH SLE 4.2
    3,55 diff (standard 6 cylinder ratio) but 5th gear in nissan box gives overall top ratio virtually same as 3.08 diff (V8 ratio) with 4 speeder.
    Would probably pull 3.36 but these are fairly scarce; definitely wouldn't use 3.08.
    I also have a 4.44 -came with 202 and trimatic in another vehicle. Pulled it out real quick -good takeoff and just managed to wind up to 108km/hr with engine compliaining loudly.

9. RB20DETVL

RB20DETVL New Member

Members Ride:
    83 VH SL/E soon to be 5L
    Is there any reason you want to stay N/A? it is very costly to make some decent power out of an N/A engine.. it is much more sensible to just convert it to turbo....

well thats my opinion neways

10. Robfire

Robfire Guest

My VL has 2 1/2 exhaust with Genie extractors and a good filters and it beats standards off the line no dramas - its an auto tho so the 5 speeds kick it but still - it's a start.

11. Robfire

Robfire Guest

My VL has 2 1/2 exhaust with Genie extractors and a good filter and it beats standards off the line no dramas - its an auto tho so the 5 speeds kick it but still - it's a start.

12. jetspin_vn

jetspin_vn JetSpin Racing Team

Members Ride:
    VN GTS
    I agree. For the price of a half decent NA, you could be pumping away with an RB20DET or RB25DET. Whats more all these engines are built like titanium clad brick shithouses so you can ring em out, obv within reason.

13. macdee

macdee your local "Hoon"

Members Ride:
    VL
    i got a VL 5 speed! has a 2 n 1\2'' exhaust, it also has motavator extractors? i was curious if any of you guys have heard of them? cause i have not! but still i keep up with my mates VT which has a shift kit and exhaust system.

14. DJ Majah

DJ Majah Electro doof doof styleé

Members Ride:
    VSII cruiser
    Duh, put two turbos on it!! :D

15. Slooth

Slooth Driver

Members Ride:
    VH EFI V8
    Without spending mega dollars on strengthening the internals so you can run a really high compression and high revs your only route is forced induction. You could keep your block and strengthen the internals to make way for a Skyline head - RB25DET or RB26DETT and use the low down torque of the 3.0ltr with the power of the turbos and greater flowing head.

If you do stay N/A, then fit a Skyline head anyway (RB25DE) for the better flow characteristics and the ability to change the specs of the cams then tune them using timing gears.

16. dumpd6

dumpd6 Guest

i have stolen the idea of building a N/A motor off some on on the street commy forum and i wanna know if it would be worth putting turbo crank and rods in. instead of the stock N/A crank and rods? and aswell how can i tell that they are turbo? with out just taking some ones word for it like if i find some on ebay etc wots gonna make it stand out to be turbo and not N/A??? any ideas

17. sleepavl

sleepavl New Member

Members Ride:
    vl sl 5 spd
    my na vl project

i have a vl wif exctors 2 1/2 hight flow 5 speed and a heavey duty brass button clutch i am all so intrested in a na vl rb 30 i have been trying to find a stroker kit for the rb30 for ever can any one give me some tips on how i can get 199.9 kw out of it wif out a forced induction as i haft to deal wif new p plater laws

18. Dose Pipe

Dose Pipe New Member

At the time of this post, under your mothers bed w
    Members Ride:
    It's quicker then your mothers VN
    crank and rods are identical

19. WJD634

WJD634 WJD634

Members Ride:
    VT Executive
    cheap option is get the head shaved, gives higher compression = more torque down low

20. E-T-H-A-N

E-T-H-A-N New Member

Members Ride:
    vt s pack manual
    DETRB25 head on an RB30 with a turbo, pulls like 300 rw. i cant see it going wrong there. and a **** load cheaper than N/A