Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB30 Swap from auto to manual VL

Philip87VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL RB30
Stuck in a ditch..
Just swapped over a Rb30 engine that came from an auto to my manual... changed spigot bush and flywheel over...everything in as normal and it won’t turn over( lights come on and then brake light comes when key is in crank position), it comes on as if it thinks it’s a still an auto that’s in park??? Tried jumping the starter and whinning noise like it’s spinning but not engaging. Could there be some kind of sensor that needs to come off.. I’m kind of a newbie so any help would be much appreciated..

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Did you bridge the park/neutral safety switch?

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
Correct transmission inhibitor switch requires bridging. In an auto car it stops the car been able to be started in gear, so find the switch and bridge/connect the 2 wires together ... Not sure where they are on a VL but VK they are in the shifter assembly in the centre console.

Philip87VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL RB30
Correct transmission inhibitor switch requires bridging. In an auto car it stops the car been able to be started in gear, so find the switch and bridge/connect the 2 wires together ... Not sure where they are on a VL but VK they are in the shifter assembly in the centre console.

Ah, I have only changed the engine over not the transmission the engine came off a automatic VL..

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You didn't swap the loom did you? Swapped flywheel yeah? Sounds obvious but just covering bases.

Last edited:

Philip87VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL RB30
Did you bridge the park/neutral safety switch?

Spot on.. I noticed a wire in a 4 point clip that obviously had been bridged before... one end had popped out... plugged it back in and she fired up without a beat.. obviously must’ve had an auto motor originally

Philip87VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
87 VL RB30
As mentioned above.. there was a bridged wire that had popped one end out plugged it in and she cranked over without a beat.. the only issue I have now is that the gearbox before I replaced the motor was popping out of reverse while making a terrible clunking noise.. now it won’t go into reverse and it is making a knocking noise while idling in nuetral and goes away 2 seconds after pushing in the clutch.. Any ideas? Cheers