Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rb30 to turbo

D

deccers

hey guys, im based in qld and have got just a standard 5 spd rb30 vl, wanna upgrade it to turbo but don't know all that much. was wondering what the best way to go about this is? and if anyone knows places in qld that will do it for me and how much?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
depends how much boost you want to run how much power you want. you can just bolt one on, use the turbo exhaust manifold and a decompression plate. or you can pull the motor apart and put the turbo pistons in, change the cam etc for more power and boost. either way you'll have to change the ecu.

D

deccers

not looking for huge amounts of power, just looking to get it faster. would i be better of bolting turbo onto current engine or getting whole new engine? how much would it cost to just bolt one on roughly?

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
can vary depending on what turbo you get. whether its new or 2nd hand. $500, if you're lucky, upwards.

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
i got an rb 30 motor im gonna turbo currently for my vn and been pricing things up, been looking on ebay for parts.
roughly
turbo manifold $3-500
turbo standard $500ish thats for a second hand turbo, try to find a good 1 with a free play in the shaft.
upgraded turbo $1000 (depending on what sort)
exhaust to cat im not too sure yet i'll be thinking round the 600 buck mark.
you will also need to change your computer mapping which shouldnt be too much i dont think but i'd leave bout 2-300 bucks for that or go onto ebay to look for a turbo 1.
and im not too sure how the standard plenum and injectors will go, so look into then but they aren't a neccesity.
injectors $2-300, plenum $400
that would be a basic kinda conversion price.