Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB30 Vl Turbo Engine Oil

Eat_the_poo_poo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo
Hi Guys,
Interested to find out what brand and type of engine oil people are using in RB30 Vl turbo?
I have been using Penrite HPR30, the engine has been rebuilt about 5,000kms ago.

H

harrop.senator

Haven't had a thirty for years from memory the clearances are slightly fatter then the twin cams. I run 15/50 in the twin cams.

As long as you're running a 50+ hot weight should be fine. The turbo motors degrade the oil pretty quick as oil temps are usually higher. Can go as light as a 10 on the winter weight but may have some slight valve train noise til everything's pumped up. In theory this shouldn't happen as the cold weight is thicker then the hot weight and it's fine at temp but I find the cold clearances take a while to get up to lash before at temp.

Eat_the_poo_poo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo
Thanks for sharing your knowledge Harrop. From memory the oil is 60 hot weight.
If my car has been dyno tuned with a certain engine oil and i don't know what that oil is(not HPR30), would this have affected the performance...... or the engine since i have been running Penrite HPR30 20W-60???

H

harrop.senator

Na man oil can effect HP if it's a little bit thinner as will have less friction on rotating assembly but you'll also want a medium bearing clearance so you don't float the crank with the thin weight.

Bugger the numbers run the oil the motor likes reliability is a bigger factor on a street motor then a few ponies.

Eat_the_poo_poo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL turbo
Makes sense. I definitely prefer reliability over a few hp. Gunna stick with the oil as it seems the motor likes it.

Don't wanna risk running too thin just to gain a few hp but could hurt the engine.