Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rb30?

J

Jethrow666

Well I got my VL about 6 months ago, and havent done anything serious to it yet. But the engine is completely ****ed so I'm thinking of buying a new one. An RB30, if I can find one within the $1500 price range with like 20,000km. But I'm unsure on what else I will have to replace and **** like that. So how much will the RB30 engine cost, and then what else will I have to replace, and how much will that cost.

Cheers

qwertsta

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
Ive seen working rb30 engine's sell on ebay between $100-$300. Not sure on the km's tho.

J

Jethrow666

^ Yea I've had a look but eBay is pretty dodgy. Apparently you can get them imported from Singapore or something with only like 20,000km on them. So if anyone has a link to a site where I can get more info, can you chuck it up please.

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
i work at repco and they do exchange motors that would be under $1500 and its reconditioned with a warranty. at least you know what you are getting and you know it'll still be running next week. just a thought

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
if its a gem engine then i wouldn't touch it.

J

Jethrow666

i work at repco and they do exchange motors that would be under $1500 and its reconditioned with a warranty. at least you know what you are getting and you know it'll still be running next week. just a thought

Do you know approximatley how much KM's the engines have?

snake_VL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
if its a gem engine then i wouldn't touch it.

why's that? i haven't had much to do with them cos i only work there part time.

i dunno how many k's they have on them, the block could have done 1 million who knows. but i'm assuming the rings, bearings, pistons, rods and other bits and pieces are replaced. not certain on that though. if anyone knows what exactly they replace i'd like to know

obhave

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Hey, i just bought a remanufactured rb30 for my vs calais, from repco. GHM do all the work. They use a second hand block, crack test it, chem clean, then bore them out etc etc. Then every thing else is replaced brand new. I paid $2600 with out the change over option as i have a 3.8 in the vs atm. Hope this helps.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
Hey, i just bought a remanufactured rb30 for my vs calais, from repco. GHM do all the work. They use a second hand block, crack test it, chem clean, then bore them out etc etc. Then every thing else is replaced brand new. I paid $2600 with out the change over option as i have a 3.8 in the vs atm. Hope this helps.

oct 2006:thumbsup: think he might of found one by now

Holdfast

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sedan Country Pack
I'm not sure; but why does it matter so much if a car has done so many K's?

Say I purchased a car / engine thats done 300,000km in a large country town / area that may mean that it's a better deal than say a car that's done 300,000k's in Sydney.

Maybe the amount of hours an engine has been run and its servicing history may be of importance.

Anyway, Engine kilometres versus Engine hours may be a matter of debate:whistling