Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rb30et

turbotime

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais
Hey there my fellow dunnydoreiens,
I am just wondering if some of you could share some information or point me in the driection of where i could find a cheep VL turbo motor from the VL turbo (RB30ET). I am just after a cheepie that i can do up, running or not. It dos'nt have to be a complete motor but would be better if it is. Im after such things as a complete turbo cylinder head, crank shaft, rods, pistons, flywheel, wireing harness and computer. I dont need an exhaust manifold or turbo due to me already having them. Ive thought of turboing the NA motor but need it to be reliable.
thanks for any help.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
Ive thought of turboing the NA motor but need it to be reliable.

I've ran N/A motors up to 27psi without a single failure.

In my opinion, the trick is in the tune, and in the head clamp.

Invest in some head studs, MLS gasket (get a thick one if you're a girl and paranoid about high comp turbo), and most importantly a good tune

The 'turbo cylinder head' is the same as the N/A one in every way, except for the cam. A n/a cam will play ball just fine, but you can liven up the rb30's a great deal with a good aftermarket cam.

As far as rods, pistons, etc go - the only difference between turbo and n/a motor is the piston - and it's just the 'dish' size that's different.

ECU wise - don't bother with a turbo ECU - get an NA one and get it re-mapped, or if you're aiming to go a bit more serious, go straight to an aftermarket unit.

05 Senator

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais RB25 turbo, VS Calais
if your n/a motor is a later one ie. late 87/88 you can turbo that as they are the exact same bottom end. but if your lookin for another one try the classified section.

VR_Acclaim

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr acclaim
like said above there is the later block that can be down...and apparently the oil pumps ect are different as one has a higher pressure rating cbf fidning out if its true,,,but just run a na motor itl hold as long as it hasnt been flogged to bad before u get it

turbotime

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais
Thanks guys. It sounds like Turboing the NA motor is the go. i have an 88 motor in bits at the moment. I just thought it might have been a cheaper option to buy a complete motor but buy the sounds of it its not as expencive as i thought.
I will look into the head gasket and bolts, definatly a cam and injectors. Just one more question about the ECU, is this something i have to get tuned on the car or can i send it away to get done??