Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB30t or ecotec

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Look at the torque.
Also, the RB30 has just as much electrics and will be far harder to put into a VP then an ecotec will.

groupa294

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn berlina, Vn calais
Ecotech all the way much smoother and i think they are much much easier to install

hsvfan01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
I would go with the ecotec, I mean why would you wanna put an older engine into a newer model car. All you need is a cold air intake system, k&n panel air filter, exhaust, extractors and get a decent upgrade on your throttle body with a good tune your car would be awesome a dream and real pleasure to drive. You can even get a bigger cam and you will have a road eater you will beat all 4 cylinders and if they have turbo then you got turbo as well cya later to them, you will beat somemodern V6's and stock 5.0L V8's. These mods on the buick V6 and ecotec are absolutely dynamite!

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
I would go with the ecotec, I mean why would you wanna put an older engine into a newer model car. All you need is a cold air intake system, k&n panel air filter, exhaust, extractors and get a decent upgrade on your throttle body with a good tune your car would be awesome a dream and real pleasure to drive. You can even get a bigger cam and you will have a road eater you will beat all 4 cylinders and if they have turbo then you got turbo as well cya later to them, you will beat somemodern V6's and stock 5.0L V8's. These mods on the buick V6 and ecotec are absolutely dynamite!

Lol
CAI,Exhaust,Extractors,Throotle Body,Tune. Will not beat 5.0L V8 it wont even beat a Honda S2000 and i believe its 4 cylinder.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride

I lol'd. You're deluded.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont

LOL mate.... i dont see any 1000+hp ecotecs getting around and i doubt there more than 5 sub 10 sec ecotecs. Yet there are plenty of RB30ET's getting around doing these sort of things.
My money on the rb30 for outright power and potential Conversion isnt really difficult vl k frame and everything bolts up and just as much wiring as an ecotec.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Don't see many people doing much more then bolt on mods to the Ecotec though. LOTS of big dollar builds on RB's though. They're not a cheap engine to make fast.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
EDIT should have read it properly

The money you'd fork out on your extractors, exhaust, rockers, cai, intake plenum spacers, Bigger TB, tune and all those other little mods, Is comparable to a RB30ET with exhaust , intercooler more boost and a tune and i know which is is going to be faster.

If you throw in a cam and tune for the Ecotec. Compared to a cam and tune to RB i still think RB would be quicker.

Now if you went all out on the Ecotec and put a turbo kit on it . Then Spend the a comparable amount of money on the RB30ET it would make more power and be more reliable

Last edited: