Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RB30t or ecotec

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Rb30ET is a turbo motor. Ecotec non turbo motor.
You can run more boost on the RB30et motors.
I think if you were to turbo a ecotec you could only run a boost of 10 psi on the factory internals even then your pushing it.

hsvfan01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais
With the mods I said you would get 200+kw throw a turbo and could get possibly 300kw+ put it this way it wouldnt just be any normal everyday commodore anyway. Ive seen it done on a series 3 vs and it did blow away the 5.0L remember the vn 5.0L was only 165kw and the vr ss only 185kw so I think the V6 with the mods would beat it. Also throw in a dog box tuned to the optimum levels and it will beat manual cause no matter what you cant think quicker than the computer.

v6vpute

Rolling on stockies
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 vp s sedan series 2
U guys make it hard to make up my mind lol iff i was going to turbo the ecotec later what internals would need to be changed to withstand 12+ boost?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Why not fit an L67 now and just get a smaller pulley. 10psi straight of the bat with no mods other needed. Later go an intercooler and run more boost.

v6vpute

Rolling on stockies
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 vp s sedan series 2
^^^^
didnt even think off that lol now i have 3 thing to pick from and well if i can get one for the right price I would go for it :D ill have to see what i can get in vic

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Definately give it some thought, plenty of aftermarket support for the L67, some crazy people are running as much as 18psi on a stock bottom end.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Definately give it some thought, plenty of aftermarket support for the L67, some crazy people are running as much as 18psi on a stock bottom end.

18psi of heat.... But seriously its going to depend on how far you go with your ute, if your going to drive it everyday and actually use like a ute is meant to then I'd go a l67.
Do the main cheaper mods and leave it, chasing big number with stock charger is expensive and new chargers arent cheap.

If your chasing big numbers Go the Rb30, theyre not as expensive as everyone makes out and theres more performance parts for it than probably an l67

Ross D.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
i seen in a street commodores mag a vl ran low tens on stock internals then they turned the boost up abit more did a few high 9s or something and then it blew. an ecotec would flat out hit low 12 max high 11's on standard internals before it blew. bang for buck rb30 is where its at! way better after market support and a hell of alot cheaper to build then an ecotec thats for sure! do it once do it right

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Rb30ET is a turbo motor. Ecotec non turbo motor.
You can run more boost on the RB30et motors.
I think if you were to turbo a ecotec you could only run a boost of 10 psi on the factory internals even then your pushing it.
Where do you get this dribble from?
You can run more boost with RB30et motors eh?
Why?

ONLY 10psi for the ecotec?
Care to post up some figuers for a correctly modified standard ecotec running 10psi?

With the mods I said you would get 200+kw throw a turbo and could get possibly 300kw+ put it this way it wouldnt just be any normal everyday commodore anyway. Ive seen it done on a series 3 vs and it did blow away the 5.0L remember the vn 5.0L was only 165kw and the vr ss only 185kw so I think the V6 with the mods would beat it. Also throw in a dog box tuned to the optimum levels and it will beat manual cause no matter what you cant think quicker than the computer.

With over night parts from Japan too I gues, better make sure you double clutch to make the most of the power too...
Stop making up big numbers and posting them as fact.

i seen in a street commodores mag a vl ran low tens on stock internals then they turned the boost up abit more did a few high 9s or something and then it blew. an ecotec would flat out hit low 12 max high 11's on standard internals before it blew. bang for buck rb30 is where its at! way better after market support and a hell of alot cheaper to build then an ecotec thats for sure! do it once do it right

VL's are light too remember. VS Commdores aren't.
Better aftermarket support?
No there's just lots of parts availible, doesn't mean they're all good. And the Ecotec aftermarket is fairly extensive as well.
Why is it more expensive to build an ecotec?
I built a supercharged Buick (Which is essentially the same motor) for $2000. Thats with all new internals and a new cam.
Good luck doing that with an RB of any kind.

To do it cheap, I would go an L67, and run a turbocharger instead of the PD supercharger.
The bottom end is slightly stronger the the Ecotec (L36?). So more boost is safe as standard. Best thing for the OP is its almost a straight swap into the VP. RB30et isn't by a long mile.