Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RCA Cables. Any difference between Car RCA and House RCA cables

ASxTecH

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF LSA Maloo
Hey guys this may be a silly question..
but wondering if if there is any difference between Amp RCA cabes for car audio and home audio RCA cables?

Im trying to clean my wires up, I have my amp right next to my processor and only needing a very short RCA able to link to the 2.
At the moment i have a 5Meter cable that is just over kill. I have been looking online and cant find anything shorter then 1Meter (Around 3FT) but even for that they want $40 AUS.
Yet to put a home audio RCA cable can get good quilty ones for less then half

Cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Some car specific RCA's have better shielding, but that's about it.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Automotive RCAs typically will have a higher quality shielding (not always and super high end home audio RCAs are just ludicrous) over the distance of .5m you will not notice a difference and it will be perfectly fine. Certainly a lot better than using a 5m pair!

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Just get some Belden Coax and some plugs and make up your own. Plenty of threads online about DIY ones, i've done a few, but really your not going to notice a difference. I think i noticed a small difference with some valve amps at home but it could have been down to anything, temps and things like that, or the placebo effect from time and money spent. I wouldn't bet anything on the difference i thought i heard.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
i made my own custom 75cm - 1m RCA cables out of some dual sheild 75ohm coax cable, with gold RCA tips

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
You're better off making ur own but no there isn't really any difference as long as you get decent quality leads.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
$9.95 and work perfectly fine... Twisted Pair RCA Stereo Audio Cable - 0.5m - Jaycar Electronics

I used the 5m ones for my old system (which had some decent products in it) and had no issue with noise or anything. You're pretty much paying for build quality or brand name when you buy more expensive cables and the build quality of these is sufficient for car audio applications.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
amen to that...

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
yes get good ones cheap house ones ant shielded enough , so there for you may get static going through your system, and poor quality sound, check out eBay for better price.

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
just go to jay car or get some off ebay , don't go getting cheap tv crape you will regret it. 40 a bit rich shop around.