Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

RDA dimpled and slotted rotors opinions please

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'll add I can get them for $78 for the pair as I have $50 voucher plus they are on special.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I Googled them and had mixed reviews. I found only one link to using them on a Commodore. Most of the reviews I found said that DBA's are far better. But I checked the JC forum and found that most DBA's are Chinese as are most RDA's but RDA's have stricter quality controls than DBA's. The JC thread suggested RDA are actually a better rotor based on the level of rotor chosen.
Thinking the RDA Chinese slotted's will be a good choice as far a bang for buck and probably better than the equivalent in DBA Chinese slotted's. Also RDA's seem to be widely used in the trade. I have used standard RDA's in the past and have found them ok. The premium range in RDA slotted and DBA slotted are double the price and too exi for me, especially considering I was originally go to grab a pair of RDA standard rotors from Car Parts Plus for $80 the pair. Basically I'd be jumping one level in there range and paying $4 less.
I currently have Bosch as they were cheap and served their purpose, which was to make my brakes better than they were but within a budget. The Bosch are not hard enough and will have a lip by the time my QFM's wear out but they will make OK spares to chuck in the shed with the old QFM's as long as I get them swapped for new while I still have some meat on them.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Always used DBA's and never had a problem with wear or vibration.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ended up buying a pair of RDA's, the ones I linked. I suspect that will be fine and will be a definite upgrade from my Bosch rotors, which weren't really that bad, apart from the lip starting to form. The RDA's are hardened steel so I think that will be better.
Guess my only concern is them being slotted and dimpled I may not be able to get them machined, which I always do each pad change unless I replace the rotors.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Always used DBA's and never had a problem with wear or vibration.

I have a new set of RDA Street's in the shed to fit on the rear, once I upgrade the rear with braided hoses, rebuilt calipers and QFM pads. Still collecting parts to upgrade the back brakes, so reckon it will be early next year before I get it all sorted.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i have them on both cars and the pads are rda extreme as you know losh the ute has got the rda big brake kit , i can t fault them the braking is smooth and no noise only replace the pads about 6 weeks ago on both cars
the vz had dba s on the front which warped so i gave the rda s a try, there been on about 5- 6 years now
mate its upto you, they are all made in china and i try not to hit them with cold water when there hot

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
I've had several sets of rda slotteds on my subarus over the years, never had an issue with them on the street or track. Never ran dimpled though.

Recently went to the dba 5000 2 piece t3 slotted front rotors and 4000 solid t3 slotted rear rotors. The dbas were made in aus.

I've heard alot of bad reviews on the rda gear on the internets but never had an issue with them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
From what I have researched the top of the line RDA's and DBA's are both made in Aust. Where as the lower range are made in China. I read on a Ford forum people bagging RDA's but Ford's were notorious for having rotor problems including warping so I really didn't take the info as gospel.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
i have them on both cars and the pads are rda extreme as you know losh the ute has got the rda big brake kit , i can t fault them the braking is smooth and no noise only replace the pads about 6 weeks ago on both cars
the vz had dba s on the front which warped so i gave the rda s a try, there been on about 5- 6 years now
mate its upto you, they are all made in china and i try not to hit them with cold water when there hot

Yeah the VT upgrade would be nice on my old bus but I have to draw the line somewhere lol. If I don't I'd be better off buying a late model with a V8.