Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

re: new vs old.. which is better?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
newish model cars are coming down in price dramatically and i guess people prefer to have something they can spend money on rather then having to spend money on recos and other things..

But regarding mechanical work - call me a cynic but i prefer to have someone qualified to do it then undertaking it myself in the sence of engine mods i don't wanna be playing around and happen to stuff something up.

For younger drivers today, modern cars are not the good basis for learning and teaching yourself how to do things that the old cars were. I grew up learning my first mechanical principles by pulling a chassis from a wrecked Ford Prefect from the bush near home, putting in a flathead four cylinder and getting it to go. My first road car was an FB Holden, in 1970. I (and many others my age) cut our teeth on very simple cars by today's standards, so learning was pretty easy. As cars became more complicated, our knowledge grew and they didn't phase us with complexity.

But today's cars have gone far beyond that, and for a newbie to start learning about cars today would require far more advanced training and experience than I ever needed.

I might have the same attitude as yourself if I was nineteen and just starting out with my first car today. I'd probably leave it to the "experts" and be at their mercy, or asking members on a forum such as this for lots of guidance.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There are euro spec crash tests going back to VS's on the crash test site, you can easily go and read up on them. The VS/T/X/Y/Z are all pretty average, the VS is a littttle bit weaker than the VT but not much (I'm talking head on crash here the VT should be better from side on with it's armoured doors). But only the VS had doors that could open after the crash test (I think they poped open they bent so much:p) all the others needed crow bar action. Compare that to most cars built in the last couple of years, you can hit the wall at 64km/h and the passenger compartment is undamaged with perfectly working doors etc, pretty much anything that rated 5 stars will be like that. It's only been in the last few years that companys have been using exotic steels to re-enforce the bodys

Hi Greenfoam

I think the VT onwards do better in the offset frontal collision tests, where the vehicle hits the barrier slightly off centre rather than directly head on. In that impact, the force is concentrated towards the front corner of the vehicle, rather than distributed across the entire front, and the later body shell withstands that impact better.

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
CALABER- i think il stick with the red straight 6, i think mine goes ok i got this motor out of a vh that some guys was getting rid of coz his son left the state and was using for a burnout car before he left, the dad said the motor had not long ago been rebuilt but it was taken apart any way, found that it had gas rings on (thats what my other half said) so i dont need any replacement additive in it( i have never put any additive in since it was put back together) i do have gas on mine also, i have takin the single barrel off and put a blue two barrel (single with secondary) carbbie, and the other half has cut the snorkel bit off the air filter thing a me gigg. and now its suckin in better air. now the carbbie needs a tune...

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
CALABER- i think il stick with the red straight 6, i think mine goes ok i got this motor out of a vh that some guys was getting rid of coz his son left the state and was using for a burnout car before he left, the dad said the motor had not long ago been rebuilt but it was taken apart any way, found that it had gas rings on (thats what my other half said) so i dont need any replacement additive in it( i have never put any additive in since it was put back together) i do have gas on mine also, i have takin the single barrel off and put a blue two barrel (single with secondary) carbbie, and the other half has cut the snorkel bit off the air filter thing a me gigg. and now its suckin in better air. now the carbbie needs a tune...

If the motor came from a VH originally, it should be a blue motor, not a red six. There isa lot of difference between the two types in the cylinder head. You mentioned though that it had a single barrel carb, so I assume its the old BSV-2 Bendix or something similar, which was only used on the red motors.

It can't have much compression if it runs unleaded without an additive - it should be pinging like blazes, unless you use premium fuel.

You can get good results from the old motors - it's just that you can get a lot more results for less effort with later engines. The old red sixes are really ancient now and not at all efficient.

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
If the motor came from a VH originally, it should be a blue motor, not a red six. There isa lot of difference between the two types in the cylinder head. You mentioned though that it had a single barrel carb, so I assume its the old BSV-2 Bendix or something similar, which was only used on the red motors.

It can't have much compression if it runs unleaded without an additive - it should be pinging like blazes, unless you use premium fuel.

You can get good results from the old motors - it's just that you can get a lot more results for less effort with later engines. The old red sixes are really ancient now and not at all efficient.

hmmmm you really have me thinking now as to which motor went where?hmmm gee its been long ago that its been in there well im stumped now, bugger me im going to have to think about this im going to have to check with the mister and double check, not sure if that was original motor in the vh but i def know the 2 barrel came off it and its blue and a couple of luggs had to be grinded off or in half for it to sit on the red i do remember i have a block with something stamped on the size not sure if its 303 or 3.3 but i could be wrong altogether. i do think we used my stripped red had it bored and shaved block and head could have been to use the pistons (?) so thats why im pos its my old red with the blue and everyone has said i could never go 2 barrel, gee im lost now. im still going to have to think about this??????

bj42turbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Executive
hi all im just wondering or wanting a explanation as to why guys/girls are going to the newish models? i guess vn onwards? its just that i personally think all people are doing is buying these cars putting on new rims (not chrome) and thats is, or paying people to do stuff. sorry if sound like a stupid question i guess im curious why people are turning there backs on the oldies and its not just holdens...:cry::dance:

I would consider VN as old, mine nearly 20 years old, OK it does have only 28k on the clock but still its old.
I just prefer older cars, even though I could probaly afford a newer one.
I would loooove a mint VK Brock or A9X Torana but they would way to much for one in mint condition.
It also doesn't make sence to me to buy a later model car, when I drive My work vehicle (Tradie Van) 97% of the time although its is a 2005 model.

Dazz

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
I would consider VN as old, mine nearly 20 years old, OK it does have only 28k on the clock but still its old.
I just prefer older cars, even though I could probaly afford a newer one.
I would loooove a mint VK Brock or A9X Torana but they would way to much for one in mint condition.
It also doesn't make sence to me to buy a later model car, when I drive My work vehicle (Tradie Van) 97% of the time although its is a 2005 model.

Dazz

hey dazz i think every lover a car would love to get there hands (and some lucky bugger who owns them) on a mint a9x i know my mister would, but i would love a brock of any i suppose i also would love a walkie hmm nice, but any who i guess my girl isnt doing to bad then really 30 odd still going strong (i would love her to be stronger thou).