Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

re: new vs old.. which is better?

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
hi all im just wondering or wanting a explanation as to why guys/girls are going to the newish models? i guess vn onwards? its just that i personally think all people are doing is buying these cars putting on new rims (not chrome) and thats is, or paying people to do stuff. sorry if sound like a stupid question i guess im curious why people are turning there backs on the oldies and its not just holdens...:cry::dance:

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Mostly because newer cars are coming down in price, and for a lot of people, if they can get into a newer car for not much more than it costs to buy/maintain an older car, it may be worth it. Not to mention that old cars are well, old, and can be quite a handful to maintain, and quite expensive compared to the purchase price of a newer car, especially if you're paying a mechanic or someone to do the repairs.

MikesCalais

Trust me, I'm a Doctor
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
newer is GENERALLY safer, older cars are more likely to stuff up sooner. of course there are always exceptions to the rule.

and as goVZ said, new (newish) cars are coming down in price.

I know I'd rather be in a newer car rather than an older one.. I've been ready to trade up from my VT for over a year now, even if it means going from a calais down to a berlina

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
newer cars arent always cheaper to maintain. my VN and VR, the parts havent really been expensive. most of them can be found at the wreckers, while newer models would have to deal with ridiculous holden prices. replacing a clutch costs what, $1-2,000 for an LS1? while i can do the same with mine for less than $500. a lot of people are well educated with these slightly older models as well, so its easy to get a lot of good information about them, while i couldnt really say the same about the newer ones. newer cars are full of more electrics that seem to fail quite a lot, and just cause more headaches, so i dont really see the need to upgrade any of my cars any time soon.

E-T-H-A-N

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s pack manual
yer i spose what all of the above but i would rather an older car i like the look of them the ve is posibly the uglyest car ive ever seen no affence 2 people that like it but it looks exactly like the newest ford eww. but yer people instantly think newer = better and thats not always the case

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The early Commodores in most parts of Australia where it still rains are stuffed and they never had any rust protection in the first place so that's one good reason to go VN onwards, VN-VZ all have fairly weak bodys and are not safe (air bags help) but they are still not a strong car by modern standards, most of the better 4 cyls hatchbacks built in the last few years get much less bent and are much safer in crash testing, that's another reason :). If I had a family I wouldnt' have them in any Commodore apart from a VE and a VE is a barge so I wouldn't have any

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Go to sleep Morton

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I personally stick with older models - nothing post VP. The early stuff is cheaper to mantain, and more reliable.

I can rebuild my entire engine for $1500 - in comparison, that would only JUST pay for labour for someone to change the timing belt on a V6 Vectra :p

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
its just that you dont see many of the oldies,im pround as to have a vb im the second owner the first was a old lady who would go between melbourne and geelong, i guess i was kinda thinking that yeah new cars have the better saftey but what can you do to them without paying a arm and leg for someone else to do. yeah my car cracks it every now and then but i will never get rid of it, and most cars onthe side of the road to melbourne are newish im kinda glad that if it f***s up i can just sit for a while to figger whats wrong mayb fix it (hopeful) drive off, not the computer not letting me over something stupid, also why are younger guys turning there backs on early models opting for 4cly fart box? im sorry to all out there who drive them, personaly the original is a subbie.