Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

re-painting bumpers

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
I've taken my rear bumper off -VP and i'd like to sand it back and give it a resparay. I'm thinking i'd just use wet/dry sandpaper to sand it back, hit it with some primer, then get the paint colour off the chart, and have it pressure packed and spray it on. Questions,, has anyone had experience with this that could give me a few pointers before i start. It's not something i wanna spend time and money on only to stuff it up doing something silly.. So anyone with some helpful advice would be very much apreciated. Thankyou

blaze

ridin dirty
Reaction score
Members Ride
SILVER BULLET
if u use spray cans its gonna turn out like ****. best bet is to lash out n buy sum 2 pak paint and a 1L piss pot with a 1.5mm gun and also unless the paint on ur car is imaculate your gonna notice a big difference in colour ur car being so old the orginal paint will be faded. if u want it done right u will need the paint colour matched

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
whats a 1L piss pot??lol sorry im not quite up with the lingo.. Can you have 2pak paint put into a spray can?? the paint on the car is pretty good yeah, just the rear bumper has had a few rubs, and is need of some love.. i figure the money spent on a compressor and spray gun would probably be round the same as just having it done by the pro's..It's just i dont have a whole lot of money at the moment, but i really really love my car, i clean it nearly everday, vacuem and armorall inside just about every night!! Its just upsets me a little cause of the rear bar...

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
wat he means is a spray gun / compressor and properly spray the whole bumper, if you use a pressure pack, it 90% of the time will be noticeable, ive done wat ur talking about, removing the bumper, sanding, and spraying and if you do a decent job prepping it, its quite hard to notice unless you get up close. I only did touchups and got the colour chart out and got some paint from parts boys (small can). Did the job tho

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
Yeah i'm quite willing to spend some time on it, with preping ect..so you reckon it will be ok, cause i wanna do the entire bumper....?

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
if your going to do the whole bumper, purchasing a decent compresson / gun will benefit you in that and future spray jobs you want to do, even on your whole car if you wanted.

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
yeah i'd love a spray kit, but im pretty limited for room and $$ where i am now, and dont know i'd like to ever try painting the whole car lol, i just dont want to spend numerous hours at night for the next week or so and it just turn out like ****, if it really cant be done, i'll leave it, and get a quote to have it painted....

blaze

ridin dirty
Reaction score
Members Ride
SILVER BULLET
a piss pot is a 1L pressure pot with a gun on it probally get star s770 cost around $140 i think. ur paint, primer and 2 x hardners and thinners will prob cost close to $200. gettin it done thru a workshop will be some stupid price. remember if u decide to paint it prepping is everything! if u prep it good the better the finish willl look

Daniel.B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec S2 3.8
Well ive posted an add on Sydney gumtree, asking about anyone in Sydney who has a spray kit and bit of experience, said in the add that i will prep them bumpers and supply the paint,and bring it to them, they just have to aplly it, hopefully someone who a sparay kit at home responds with a resonable asking price for thier time, and i can watch them do it, and get a bit of an idea on how eveything is done. Thanks for your help blaze