Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-Power Steering recall.

atimicute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS V V8 MY15 Series 1.5
My 2014 was fixed on Monday of this week when it was booked into the dealer's service dept for an oil change. When I asked about a wheel alignment, I was advised that the rack was not going to be fixed. There apparently is an electronic control box which was needed to be replaced - not the rack. This did not necessitate the actual rack itself being replaced. The job took about 3 hours and the car is driving just fine.
I had my EPS done a month ago and I feel that the steering his heavier. My car was in for service yesterday and I asked about a wheel alignment and was told it is bot necessary as the rack isn't changed or even removed. Coincidently a guy with an SV6 ute told me he felt his steering was heavier after his recall. Both of us were told to monitor the steering and report back if we think it is a problem. What do you do? They did check my steering again during the service and said all was good.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I had my EPS done a month ago and I feel that the steering his heavier. My car was in for service yesterday and I asked about a wheel alignment and was told it is bot necessary as the rack isn't changed or even removed. Coincidently a guy with an SV6 ute told me he felt his steering was heavier after his recall. Both of us were told to monitor the steering and report back if we think it is a problem. What do you do? They did check my steering again during the service and said all was good.

Maybe the software was updated. My MY14 was much different to my MY17 steering as the cal was different.

atimicute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS V V8 MY15 Series 1.5
Maybe the software was updated. My MY14 was much different to my MY17 steering as the cal was different.
Just had a wheel alignment done and a front wheel balance. Will chk it out this week and see if any different.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
PS without power is heavier, mainly because you are pushing the hydraulic fluid back to the pump.
Most "early" Commodore non-power racks were 5 turns (revolutions of the steering wheel) lock to lock.
The power ones (eg my VX) is 2.5.
My old Mitsubishi Colt didn't have - or need, power steering. 2.7 turns L to L and you could turn the steering wheel with one finger - parked.
Ditto mu 1936 Chev. MG rack with 2.5 turns L TO L. Again, despite the V8 etc, I can steer it easily, even when stationary.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
^ there is no hydraulic oil to overcome within Holdens VF Electric Power Steering system ;)

The effort needed in turning a steering wheel is reduced by the leverage provided by the diameter of the steering wheel itself (bigger wheel = less effort but so old school) and the gearing within the rack steering gear (torque multiplier = gearing = number of turns lock to lock).

Obviously power steering reduces the effort needed by a driver even further or alternatively it can be used to reduce the number of turns lock to lock or provide a cool small steering wheel or any outcome desired by the designers.

But the mechanical effort to actually turn the front wheels by pushing and pulling on the tie rods is very much dependant on the steering geometry, particularly the KPI which results in the vehicle being lifted slightly when turning away from center. Thus part of the steering effort is actually to overcoming the vehicle weight caused by this subtle shift in ride height which is exacerbated by fitting wider wheels (lifts more than skinny wheels for given KPI) ;)

Well that’s my understanding anyway...

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon
I had a BA Falcon with intermittent power steering.. certainly got your attention if it let go half way through a roundabout.

My VF is going into the dealership tomorrow for the recall fix... hope all goes well.