Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-Power Steering recall.

wobbles123

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6 Auto Ute, 2013 VF SV6 Auto Sedan.
I have been on to Holden Customer Care over the recall about 6 times since May this year and being fobbed off by the call centre saying that they have nothing at the moment and on a recent call they said they are only releasing a number of fixes to Holden Dealerships so as not to overload there workshop....the call centre said I would receive a letter in due course from some lady who was not very fluent with her English.
I was in a country town on Monday where I bought the VF and went to the dealership to see what the hold up was and to check out the call centre garbage.
They said we can do it this week as we have the modules for the power steering in stock for the recall.
So there you go....call centres are a waste of time !@#$%^&*

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Holden are trying to control the amount of work that's being put into this by sending batches of letters out to owners, that batch being fixed, rinse/repeat. That dealer's willing to 'buck the system' as it were, hopefully they've got access to more PS modules than letters were sent to owners in there area or there're going to be some grumpy letter-holders wondering why they can't get their fix done NOW as per the letter. :)

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Holden are trying to control the amount of work that's being put into this by sending batches of letters out to owners, that batch being fixed, rinse/repeat. That dealer's willing to 'buck the system' as it were, hopefully they've got access to more PS modules than letters were sent to owners in there area or there're going to be some grumpy letter-holders wondering why they can't get their fix done NOW as per the letter. :)
Yep. I called them today as well, since I am tired of waiting.
I have 2 cars to be done and got the same letters last December as every one else. The ones that say that the parts will be available mid-year.
The call centre told me to sit tight and wait my turn, they are releasing parts in 6 week blocks across 4 categories and doing the "most urgent first". Also told me that if I presented to a dealer, without a failure, I am up for a diagnosis fee.
Guess I will have to just wait until next year. By the time the packs are ready I may have sold one of the cars.
Holden are not concerned about repeat sales from happy customers of course. They're gonski.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Please remember this is a huge recall affecting over 100k in vehicle numbers. It cannot be done overnight. Goods had to be remade by a supplier and then shipped out. This does not happen overnight.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Sooo just to clarify ..
What cars are affected by this ?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Anthony121 , any rectification would have occurred much much sooner had Holden/GM placed more importance on this issue. As is, they've been dragging their corporate feet on this issue for more than two years (original thread started Nov 2017).

Yeah, i know its a Holden enthusiast forum but maybe some consumer perspective is needed rather than just being an apologist for a corporate miscreants.

After all, people have a right to be peeved at Holdens lethargy in getting a potentially dangerous fault fixed. And the fault itself can only be described as a major fault under ACL, which is a trigger for the purchaser to ask for a full purchase price refund. That alone should be an incentive for Holden to pull out all stops (but for regulatory capture).

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Ron Burgundy , the recall specified the scope.

GM Holden Ltd — MY2014 to MY2016 Holden & HSV, VF Commodore & WN Caprice
PRA No: 2018/17201
Date published: 19 Dec 2018
Campaign number: A182193280
Product description:

Holden VF Commodore, 58,731 affected vehicles
Holden WN Caprice: 1,938 affected vehicles
HSV VF Clubsport, HSV VF Maloo and HSV VF GTS: 5,525 affected vehicles

Select 2014-2016 models, built on or prior to 30 April 2015.

2016 model built in April 2015?
I hate the fact that there is a "model year" which has no bearing on the calandar year or build date... Sales/Marketting probably drove such bull...

So maybe My2016VF and not My2015VF?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
PS: the recall states

What should consumers do?
Replacement parts are not currently available. Holden will contact affected consumers to notify them of required action.

But we know that replacement racks exist in Holdens spare parts inventory. But that's a more costly solution for them that the repair kit they designed. So maybe it should have read

What should consumers do?
Cheap replacement parts are not yet currently available. Holden will contact affected consumers to notify them of required action when the checp parts have been made.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
@Ron Burgundy , the recall specified the scope.

GM Holden Ltd — MY2014 to MY2016 Holden & HSV, VF Commodore & WN Caprice
PRA No: 2018/17201
Date published: 19 Dec 2018
Campaign number: A182193280
Product description:

Holden VF Commodore, 58,731 affected vehicles
Holden WN Caprice: 1,938 affected vehicles
HSV VF Clubsport, HSV VF Maloo and HSV VF GTS: 5,525 affected vehicles

Select 2014-2016 models, built on or prior to 30 April 2015.

2016 model built in April 2015?
I hate the fact that there is a "model year" which has no bearing on the calandar year or build date... Sales/Marketting probably drove such bull...

So maybe My2016VF and not My2015VF?

Thank you
Mine is June 2016 so it's fine by the looks of it..