Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-Programming VT Commodore Key

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by liam_p, Apr 9, 2011.

1. liam_p

liam_p New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
    I have just re-programmed by VT Commodore (3 button) key following the battery going flat and button pads RS. You will need a working key and probably need to replace the head on this (which is probably due and still much cheaper that a new key).

Here is how;
    1. Buy new key head shells for your keys (I got mine on ebay - great and cheap, about $10.00 !!)
    2. Remove the screws and prise open your old key head (of the dead key) with a small screwdriver.
    3. Use a blade / small pliers to remove the battery. Get a replacement battery and place it on the circuit board. Either try to solder (watch the heat), or superglue the contacts on the new battery. I just bent the contacts towards the battery first, then superglue.
    4. Remove the screws and prise open the good key, so that the key blade is loose.
    5. Start the car with the good key, then slide off the head, leaving the key blade in the ignition.
    6. Slide on the head of the key you replaced the battery on. The car will program the key immediately. I left it in the ignition for a few minutes.
    7. Remove the key and re-assemble.
    8. Do the same for the working key, suggest you replace the key head with a new shell.

This process works! All up cost - $20.00 for two key shells. $3 for one new battery. TOTAL $23.
    I am putting pics together in an instruction manual. Email liam_p@rock.com for a copy.

caaf likes this.
  2. lufkin

lufkin New Member

Members Ride:
    WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
    i just bought a new key for $90 sigh if someone can confirm this works i will cry lol, thanks for sharing liam

3. edals

edals Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE Equipe
    Out of interest, If you bought a new blank key head, can you program it that way ?

4. oska

oska Active Member

Members Ride:
    vx custom 600RR
    Yes

unlock car with door lock not the remote

insert new key into ignition and turn to ON there will be a pause for a few seconds
    turn key to OFF and remove

push lock then unlock on the new remote

Congratulations you've just programed your new key

Remember to Give holden dealership the finger next time you drive past one

Tarnz98Vt likes this.
  5. Super_Low 91

Super_Low 91 ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Members Ride:
    Not a Commodore
    if it was that easy then anyone could steal the car,, the key head needs to be programmed first, weather it be by bench programming or by using a tech

6. lufkin

lufkin New Member

Members Ride:
    WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
    you still need to start the car with the original key so no, anyone couldnt just steal a car

7. Super_Low 91

Super_Low 91 ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Members Ride:
    Not a Commodore
    The part were i said that you need to use a bench programmer (eg, RW4) or a vehicle launch (eg, Tech 2) is the only way to program new key heads into a commodore (that is up until VE witch have a completely different system all together)

8. liam_p

liam_p New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
    Thanks Lufkin - YES you need a working key to do this ....

9. liam_p

liam_p New Member

Members Ride:
    VT Commodore
  10. blocka62

blocka62 New Member

Members Ride:
    VX Calais
    Programming VT/VX multi button remote

I tried both methods and neither worked for me. I have got a brand new GMH remote and did what they said and its a no go. Dont know what the key cutter shops do but they know haow to do it when you buy a key from them. Maybe someone thats received the key cutters indtructions might like to contribute to the discussion????

11. lout

lout Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S2
    you are not programming a new remote at all you are only reintroducing your original remote that now has a new shell and battery.
    I love people that quote Holdens cost for a new "key" which is key and remote transponder all programmed. then list their cost which is only for the remote transponder
    I drove to quality locksmith cost $110 for new genuine remote and new key cut, all programmed
    took less time than buying and drinking a coffee
    or you could buy a made in China remote, or made in China remote shell, a battery and then spend the afternoon building something that will be inferior, then in a year or two you can post asking help that your car wont start or remote wont unlock car or some other problem that you have created

12. VTS5

VTS5 TechJunkie

Members Ride:
    VE OMEGA
    #1,,,Mine cost $85 from MrMinit.Genuine Holden Part.Hassle free,peace of mine.

13. Drewie

Drewie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS (Original owner).
    As a general guide how long do the batteries last in these keys, I have had my VX SS from new, it has only done about 72,000km so the keys have had very little use but none the less they are 10 years old, not sure whether to bite the bullet and get a new one done or wait till I notice issues with the original keys.
    I asked the price at a local locksmith the other day and he quoted me $85 for a genuine Holden keyhead programmed to the car and using the original blade from the existing key. He said pull up outside the shop and I will set up every thing for you.

14. Super_Low 91

Super_Low 91 ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Members Ride:
    Not a Commodore
    Usually the best way to tell is when you have get closer an closer to the car for it to lock an unlock. Thats the best time to start looking for a new key, if you continue to use it the door locks will eventually stop responding to the remote an then after that the car wont start.

The battery not only looks after the central locking but it also sends the code to the bcm when you start the car.

Generally they last about 4ish years but it all depends on the condition of the remote an how often its used.

15. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Not_An_Abba_Fan Exhaust Guru

Members Ride:
    Strange Rover
    The battery only sends the signal to the car when unlocking. The car itself powers the key once it is inserted into the ignition and turned on.

To program a new key it only needs to be inserted into the ignition then turned on for a few seconds. This codes the key to the BCM.

No, any fool can't steal a car using this method as you would need the correct cut key to turn the ignition on.

16. Drewie

Drewie Active Member

Members Ride:
    VX SS (Original owner).
    Do the VT/VX keys have a rolling code that transmits a different signal each time you press the key pad or are they just a single code set up?

17. Super_Low 91

Super_Low 91 ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Members Ride:
    Not a Commodore
    The ring around the ignition is a key ready only it doesn't power anything nor does it have any programming abilities on its own..

According to what you said all i would need to do is grab a new key head an then go some commodore, break in, rip the ignition switch off the back of the barrel hold the new head to the key reader an turn the ignition on.

A new key must be bench programmed first or introduced with a Tech tool, the only time the bcm and ignition can be used to program a key in the car is with a Tech tool.

18. Not_An_Abba_Fan

Not_An_Abba_Fan Exhaust Guru

Members Ride:
    Strange Rover
    There is a wire that goes to the reader, when the key is inserted into the ignition this powers the key head enough for it to transmit the code. This allows the car to be started even when the battery in the key head is flat. Read the VT manual, it says as much in there.

We bought a new key from a locksmith for our VT when we first bought it. They don't have a Tech2, we inserted the key into the ignition and turned it on, waited about 10 seconds, turned it off, then it worked.

19. Bookanun

Bookanun New Member

Hi guys,

Does this work on VY commodore's as well?

Cheers

20. supercharger kingy

supercharger kingy NUCKIN FUTS

Members Ride:
    VE L98 Calais
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but i just went to MRMINT paid $80 bucks for new key head and key cut... he told me to use old key to open car, when inside car lock yourself in.. get the new key and start the car wait 20sec and the key will work...... well this did work but now my old key wont unlock or lock the doors.. i have to reinsert my old key for it to work...

How did does that work ???? any ideas ?????

sounds like its reprogramming every time i use it ????