Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-Programming VT Commodore Key

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
These keyfobs will not lose their programming, even if you pull them apart and remove the battery to replace it.. The key reader supplies power the part of the fob that has the security stuff is stored on it so the vehicle can start. Ive got 4 old keyfobs here that have been flat for years now, ones even had the battery removed, once theyre placed in the ignition, they all still disable the vehicles security allow the car to start..

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Tacking onto this old thread rather than start a new one, I am about to buy 2 new key heads for my VX SS, the metal key blades on both keys are fine.
I have checked both with the local locksmith and Holden re prices, the locksmith said they read the codes from the existing keys and reprogram the new heads and would charge me $80 a key so $160. Holden said they hook up tech 2 and read the codes from the cars computer and all up to supply 2 new heads and program and fit the key blades would cost $186 so Holden are only $26 dearer than the locksmith, what I wanted to know is if it is better to reprogram from the cars computer or go the locksmiths way of taking the codes from the key its self, both are using genuine Holden key heads, appreciate your thoughts.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
No real difference. Both methods with leave you with keys that work.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
I got 2 brand spanking new keys, key head + shell for $120 from a local key cutting joint. Gave the bloke my old keys (had to do one at a time as you need a spare working key) 10 minutes later picked up the new key, with a piece of paper explaining in good detailed steps (4-5 steps) on how to program/introduce them to the car, by unlocking with old/spare key head (not remote), get in car, close door, put new key in ignition, wait for the security light to start flashing, pull key out of ignition, get out if car, lock doors with new remote not key head, unlock doors with new remote not key head. Had to do the same thing with the 2nd key. Had them for about 9 months and they work fine.

Buying them cheap ass remotes off eBay with steps on how to program it (like above) wont work as far as I know. You need it properly programmed with a program or tool otherwise it will more then likely fail if your key battery goes flat, or car battery goes flat.

Also not sure how you would do it without a spare key. Probably just take it to Holden

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
I bought a new key the other day for my VT SS from one of those key places you find in shopping centres. He told me to unlock the car with the old key, start it with the new key, and go for a drive (or leave it running) for 15mins.
Did that, came home and hit the lock button and all was good. Cost me $100 and 20 mins waiting for it.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
I bought a new key the other day for my VT SS from one of those key places you find in shopping centres. He told me to unlock the car with the old key, start it with the new key, and go for a drive (or leave it running) for 15mins.
Did that, came home and hit the lock button and all was good. Cost me $100 and 20 mins waiting for it.

Yea that sounds about right. I think aslong as you have the key in the ignition your good to go lol I have read so many different ways of it being done, some say it works some say it doesn't. I say just go to a legit store and have them do it for you, if you still aren't convinced then Holden will be happy to line their pockets with your hard earned $$

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You can pick up a brand new blank genuine 2 or 3 button keyfob plus new blank key for around $40 to $50 on ebay, you just have to get it programmed. These new blank keyfobs cannot be programmed just by using the key in the vehicle, when key places make a new key, they take your old fob, retrieve the info off it, and then copy it over to the new blank fob, you just have to use the key, following the instructions they give you, and this just basically finalises the programming of the fob. You can also program a new key with certain scantools. This is how holden will do it. You need the vehicles BCM security code to program new blank keys with a scantool. With some models, You can add an extra key to the vehicle without needing the security code, but you do need a working key, as the immobilser has to be disarmed before this can be done.

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
slightly late and alittle of topic but mazda wanted to charge my wife 610 dollars for a new key , yes thats right $610 , i literally said to them #### that , i then found a youtube clip on how to replace the battery in the key remote , a ?5 dollar button battery later and her original remote works like new, REPLACMENT car keys are the biggest rip off ever

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
slightly late and alittle of topic but mazda wanted to charge my wife 610 dollars for a new key , yes thats right $610 , i literally said to them #### that , i then found a youtube clip on how to replace the battery in the key remote , a ?5 dollar button battery later and her original remote works like new, REPLACMENT car keys are the biggest rip off ever

If you ask me I reckon they would still make a profit if they sold them for $20, there is stuff all in them.

CoopersVTCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Calais
Fix my flat battery in my 2000 VTII Calais today.
Just get get a new battery for it, got mine from jaycar for $4.50
Remove the case and remove the battery, don't break off the metal bit holding the battery in, can be a pain in the ass but they do come off.
I put the new battery in and then used so eleco tape to hold it down because I didn't have a soldering iron to solder it back in.
Put it all back together and went out to my car and tried to use the remote buttons on the key i just fixed to open the car and it didn't work, had a felling it wouldn't :)

I used my spare key to unlock the car (using the remote buttons) then once I was in the car I inserted the key I just fixed into the ignition and turn it on, left it for a minute then turned it off, the key should now be reprogrammed.
While still in the car I used the remote buttons (on the key i fixed) and locked the car, unlocked it,locked it and then unlocked it again and then started it just to make sure things were ok and now she is working like a treat. Now she is all working again I super glued the case back together to stop it from falling apart.
Total cost was only $4.50 and about an hour of my time.
I hope this helps anyone that doesn't have the cash to get a new key or just want's to change the battery :)