Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-Programming VT Commodore Key

liam_p

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I have just re-programmed by VT Commodore (3 button) key following the battery going flat and button pads RS. You will need a working key and probably need to replace the head on this (which is probably due and still much cheaper that a new key).

Here is how;
1. Buy new key head shells for your keys (I got mine on ebay - great and cheap, about $10.00 !!)
2. Remove the screws and prise open your old key head (of the dead key) with a small screwdriver.
3. Use a blade / small pliers to remove the battery. Get a replacement battery and place it on the circuit board. Either try to solder (watch the heat), or superglue the contacts on the new battery. I just bent the contacts towards the battery first, then superglue.
4. Remove the screws and prise open the good key, so that the key blade is loose.
5. Start the car with the good key, then slide off the head, leaving the key blade in the ignition.
6. Slide on the head of the key you replaced the battery on. The car will program the key immediately. I left it in the ignition for a few minutes.
7. Remove the key and re-assemble.
8. Do the same for the working key, suggest you replace the key head with a new shell.

This process works! All up cost - $20.00 for two key shells. $3 for one new battery. TOTAL $23.
I am putting pics together in an instruction manual. Email [email protected] for a copy.

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
i just bought a new key for $90 sigh if someone can confirm this works i will cry lol, thanks for sharing liam

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Out of interest, If you bought a new blank key head, can you program it that way ?

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
Out of interest, If you bought a new blank key head, can you program it that way ?

Yes

unlock car with door lock not the remote

insert new key into ignition and turn to ON there will be a pause for a few seconds
turn key to OFF and remove

push lock then unlock on the new remote

Congratulations you've just programed your new key

Remember to Give holden dealership the finger next time you drive past one

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
if it was that easy then anyone could steal the car,, the key head needs to be programmed first, weather it be by bench programming or by using a tech

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
if it was that easy then anyone could steal the car,, the key head needs to be programmed first, weather it be by bench programming or by using a tech

you still need to start the car with the original key so no, anyone couldnt just steal a car

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
The part were i said that you need to use a bench programmer (eg, RW4) or a vehicle launch (eg, Tech 2) is the only way to program new key heads into a commodore (that is up until VE witch have a completely different system all together)

blocka62

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais
Programming VT/VX multi button remote

I tried both methods and neither worked for me. I have got a brand new GMH remote and did what they said and its a no go. Dont know what the key cutter shops do but they know haow to do it when you buy a key from them. Maybe someone thats received the key cutters indtructions might like to contribute to the discussion????