Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-Programming VT Commodore Key

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
you are not programming a new remote at all you are only reintroducing your original remote that now has a new shell and battery.
I love people that quote Holdens cost for a new "key" which is key and remote transponder all programmed. then list their cost which is only for the remote transponder
I drove to quality locksmith cost $110 for new genuine remote and new key cut, all programmed
took less time than buying and drinking a coffee
or you could buy a made in China remote, or made in China remote shell, a battery and then spend the afternoon building something that will be inferior, then in a year or two you can post asking help that your car wont start or remote wont unlock car or some other problem that you have created

VTS5

TechJunkie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L Dual Fuel
you are not programming a new remote at all you are only reintroducing your original remote that now has a new shell and battery.
I love people that quote Holdens cost for a new "key" which is key and remote transponder all programmed. then list their cost which is only for the remote transponder
I drove to quality locksmith cost $110 for new genuine remote and new key cut, all programmed
took less time than buying and drinking a coffee
or you could buy a made in China remote, or made in China remote shell, a battery and then spend the afternoon building something that will be inferior, then in a year or two you can post asking help that your car wont start or remote wont unlock car or some other problem that you have created

#1,,,Mine cost $85 from MrMinit.Genuine Holden Part.Hassle free,peace of mine.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
As a general guide how long do the batteries last in these keys, I have had my VX SS from new, it has only done about 72,000km so the keys have had very little use but none the less they are 10 years old, not sure whether to bite the bullet and get a new one done or wait till I notice issues with the original keys.
I asked the price at a local locksmith the other day and he quoted me $85 for a genuine Holden keyhead programmed to the car and using the original blade from the existing key. He said pull up outside the shop and I will set up every thing for you.

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
Usually the best way to tell is when you have get closer an closer to the car for it to lock an unlock. Thats the best time to start looking for a new key, if you continue to use it the door locks will eventually stop responding to the remote an then after that the car wont start.

The battery not only looks after the central locking but it also sends the code to the bcm when you start the car.

Generally they last about 4ish years but it all depends on the condition of the remote an how often its used.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The battery only sends the signal to the car when unlocking. The car itself powers the key once it is inserted into the ignition and turned on.

To program a new key it only needs to be inserted into the ignition then turned on for a few seconds. This codes the key to the BCM.

No, any fool can't steal a car using this method as you would need the correct cut key to turn the ignition on.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Do the VT/VX keys have a rolling code that transmits a different signal each time you press the key pad or are they just a single code set up?

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
The battery only sends the signal to the car when unlocking. The car itself powers the key once it is inserted into the ignition and turned on.

To program a new key it only needs to be inserted into the ignition then turned on for a few seconds. This codes the key to the BCM.

No, any fool can't steal a car using this method as you would need the correct cut key to turn the ignition on.

The ring around the ignition is a key ready only it doesn't power anything nor does it have any programming abilities on its own..

According to what you said all i would need to do is grab a new key head an then go some commodore, break in, rip the ignition switch off the back of the barrel hold the new head to the key reader an turn the ignition on.

A new key must be bench programmed first or introduced with a Tech tool, the only time the bcm and ignition can be used to program a key in the car is with a Tech tool.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There is a wire that goes to the reader, when the key is inserted into the ignition this powers the key head enough for it to transmit the code. This allows the car to be started even when the battery in the key head is flat. Read the VT manual, it says as much in there.

We bought a new key from a locksmith for our VT when we first bought it. They don't have a Tech2, we inserted the key into the ignition and turned it on, waited about 10 seconds, turned it off, then it worked.

Bookanun

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does this work on VY commodore's as well?

Cheers

supercharger kingy

NUCKIN FUTS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE L98 Calais
Sorry to bring up an old thread but i just went to MRMINT paid $80 bucks for new key head and key cut... he told me to use old key to open car, when inside car lock yourself in.. get the new key and start the car wait 20sec and the key will work...... well this did work but now my old key wont unlock or lock the doors.. i have to reinsert my old key for it to work...

How did does that work ???? any ideas ?????

sounds like its reprogramming every time i use it ????