Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

re-spray info

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
hi all,

im thinking of changing the colour of my car, at the moment it's the burgandary(maroon)?? colour, but i love the look of the blue that was brought out with the vt's, maybe with a bit of pearl through it, it might look a bit better to.
anyone know of a rough cost to have this done?, being a calais it's got the silver skirting which i wouldn't mind changing to chrome as well.

are there ways i can make it cheap for me to do this ie. sand it myself, buy the paint myself etc etc.

cheers for all help

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
anywhere from $5000 - $10000

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
$10,000!?!?!?! holy crap! And you can get the calais sideskirts in chrome??? Hmm... i want it!, might be a little much though oh well... Apparently preping it yourself will save you a lot of money, thats what i've been told by heaps of people anyway, good luck with it, sounds like its going to be a nice colour.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
heeno said:
hi all,

im thinking of changing the colour of my car, at the moment it's the burgandary(maroon)?? colour, but i love the look of the blue that was brought out with the vt's, maybe with a bit of pearl through it, it might look a bit better to.
anyone know of a rough cost to have this done?, being a calais it's got the silver skirting which i wouldn't mind changing to chrome as well.

are there ways i can make it cheap for me to do this ie. sand it myself, buy the paint myself etc etc.

cheers for all help

Sand it yourself, prime it yourself and you will save some money. But you'd still be lookin at over $5g for a colour with some pearl in it etc, atleast for a full body respray anyway.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
1991_Vn2nV said:
Sand it yourself, prime it yourself and you will save some money. But you'd still be lookin at over $5g for a colour with some pearl in it etc, atleast for a full body respray anyway.

looks like i'll be doing a bit of the dirty work myself then, $5000 though is a bit expensive but if thats the usuall going price for a full respray then so be it.
also just a quick one, what grade sand paper is best to use to start with and for the final sand (to get it like glass) is wet and dry the way to go, i'll also need to get an orbital sander as well ey.

cheers all

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
MikesVT said:
And you can get the calais sideskirts in chrome??? Hmm... i want it!

well i thought it's a calais and why not bling it up a bit plus with the blue im after and a nice set of 19 chromies she'll look like quite the eye pleaser...(plus the chrome job i think i can do myself with a couple of cans of spray paint)

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Dude get the skirts done properly at the same time.. spraypaint is going to chip and fade... and it will be very bad in a carwash...

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
mattman said:
Dude get the skirts done properly at the same time.. spraypaint is going to chip and fade... and it will be very bad in a carwash...

yea i will get it done properly, just want to see how it looks for a while first to see if i like it and the reactions i get from people (last thing i want is to be blinding the person behind me because it's to reflective with the sun, and also see what other people think of it, who knows could start a trend:p )

hotroddesignz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
It takes it a very big job when changing colours that are way different having to paint inside bonnet boot doors engine bay and door jams takes alot of time to do if you were simply wanting to add sparkle to your paint you coule get away with mixing the colour and doing a seperate three layer pearl over it to change its appearance but because u want to go blue its tuff, i rekon sell the maroon one and buy a blue one then if u still want a paint job you can get the colour tinkered with and get it resprayed.

As for chrome skirts or what ever you were saying unless it come chrome from factory its goin to cost you a heap chrome paint is relatively new and has had its complications so far its a painful process for the painter and an expensive one for the customer looking at approx. 1000 a litre for one that works and you have to use their clear aswel so that costs a quid aswel.

If you serious about geting anything done email me, im a painter in brisbane
[email protected]

jamie