Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-spraying and Clear coat

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Hi guys, I am planning on respraying my car myself. The paint is in good condition the problem is that there are heaps and heaps of deep stone chips and deep scrathes and it makes the car look crap lol. Because the paint is still good and its not peeling up would i only have to sand back the clear and ruff the panel up a bit, spray on the primer then paint? I am not expecting it to look like a pro job either just better than it is now.

Also is there a particular method you should use when applying the clear coat? I have heard that spraying on clear coat can be very tricky.

Any help would be great! Cheers!

LAPD-VN

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 5sp - LAPD
after you sand back use a prime putty to help fill the holes. allow that to dry properly b4 spraying the paint. when spraying the paint if your doing it at home try and do in a dust free enviroment in the shade on a warm to moderate hot day. Nothing worse than spraying on a cold day your finish will end up rather matt and dull. when spraying the clear you need the same weather. spray the clear fast and light each time. At the end the clear will make the paint look dull. This is the time you want it to be. the more layers of clear the better it will be.

after you have sprayed the final coat move the car out into the sun to bake. give the drying process some time. Then buff it. I used an orby to do so, once buffed and looking shiny, place under a car cover to set completely. You need to keep it out of the eliments for a while.. this includes bird poop. this process should take a few days.

once this is done a good cut and polish to finsih her off.

groberr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr equipe
hey mate not sure if you have done some painting or anything before but if you havnt i would recomend practicing on a few spare panels or sumthing before you make the mistake i did and totally fk your car up haah

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Ok thanks guys, i havn't done a complete spray of a car i have just sprayed a car half in primer before but i still have that car sitting in the shed so i could practice on that because it is already in primer. I am planning on doing the car panel by panel. Is there any negatives about doing it this way?

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
I am planning on doing the car panel by panel. Is there any negatives about doing it this way?

the only problems you might find are different mixes, different drying/curing which might slightly affect the finish. the biggest PITA if you do it that way will be masking off more than you need to, sometimes on fresh paint (unless you are taking panels off in which case you are wasting time-apart from the bonnet and perhaps bootlid - take it off...). Being the same colour is the any point in doing it this way?

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
the only problems you might find are different mixes, different drying/curing which might slightly affect the finish. the biggest PITA if you do it that way will be masking off more than you need to, sometimes on fresh paint (unless you are taking panels off in which case you are wasting time-apart from the bonnet and perhaps bootlid - take it off...). Being the same colour is the any point in doing it this way?

Well the only reason why i want to do it panel by panel is because i don't have another car to drive around and i pretty much need my car every day so if i done it panel by panel i could maybe do a panel a day?