Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Re-wiring park lights into DRLs

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Ok, inb4 all the hate comments lol this is going to sound pretty ridiculous and I know I could just switch my parkers on but that kind of defeats my purpose. This is more so when I start the car the lights come on, turn the car off the lights turn off, no chance of accidently leaving lights on. So, I want to know if this little theory could actually work.

To my knowledge there would be a wire (or series of) on the loom that connect my park lights to the dial on the dash board. Would there be a way to disconnect the wire/s from the dial and re-wire them to maybe 12V lighter socket? Possibly even run a switch, just incase I do want the lights off if I'm just listening to music ect..

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You shouldnt be able to leave the lights turned on accidently, as they should all turn off automatically when the ignition is switched off. Some models even have a variable time that can be programmed so they stay on for 30 or 60 seconds etc and then turn off once the ignition is turned off..You just have to leave the light switch in the park light position instead of mucking around changing things.

VX Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Why not just rewire the park light into the DRL? If you wire it into the Lighter socket then as soon as you turn on ACC the DRL's will come on which i beleive isnt the solution you're after. You might be better off wiring up a fog light switch and using that to turn on the DRL's.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
You shouldnt be able to leave the lights turned on accidently, as they should all turn off automatically when the ignition is switched off. Some models even have a variable time that can be programmed so they stay on for 30 or 60 seconds etc and then turn off once the ignition is turned off..You just have to leave the light switch in the park light position instead of mucking around changing things.

That is what I do at the moment. I will leave the lights on park, on a VXII the lights will turn off when opening the drivers door after turning off the ignition, but lets say I forget some in my car and open the door again, get what I need out and then close the door, the lights will remain on.

And I am shocking at remember to turn them off manually even though I have been doing it forever lol I am even at the point where I carry a battery charger in the car.

VX Exec

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
lets say I forget some in my car and open the door again, get what I need out and then close the door, the lights will remain on.
But the lights wont turn on again until you turn on the ignition? Anyway they are only DRL's, 12 hours worth of battery drain wouldnt be noticeable...

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
But the lights wont turn on again until you turn on the ignition? Anyway they are only DRL's, 12 hours worth of battery drain wouldnt be noticeable...

How long would I need to leave my park lights on for before the battery is dead enough the car wont start?

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
I understand that they won't come back on until I turn the ignition on. But if I dont open my door or manually turn them off they will stay on.

I just want to know a good option to rewire the park lights to run when either the engine starts or ACC is slected.

I like the foglight switch idea, although I dont have a foglight switch in a VX Exec. Would I wire the + wire to an unused fuse slot and the - to the body of the car to ground it?

I was originally going to run them LED strips from the fuse box to under my headlights but I think that looks tacky.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
but lets say I forget some in my car and open the door again, get what I need out and then close the door, the lights will remain on.

This can't happen unless you turn the ignition to on. Opening the door alone won't turn the lights back on.

But if I dont open my door or manually turn them off they will stay on.

So you'll be staying in the car for extended periods without opening the door after turning the engine off?

I like the foglight switch idea

This is your best option I guess, But I still don't see what the issue is, maybe it's just me...

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The idea of DRLs to have them on when you start the car without the parkers or headlights on so you need to wire them to something that only gets power when the ignition is on, and they should turn off or dim at night.