Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Read text messages on non-DVD VF mylink whilst vehicle in motion

M

mwb235

Is there such a thing as a VIM (Vehicle In Motion) device that enables text messages on the mylink screen? Currently when i press the "read message" button on mylink screen, it won't display if car is being driven. Can this be bypassed? Yeah yeah I know, it's a safety thing.

I realise there are VIM kits for DVD playback. My headunit doesn't have DVD (and i don't want it either). I just want to know if such a thing exists for text messages.

My car is a 2014 series 1, phone is a Samsung S9 (Android), connection to mylink via BlueTooth.

Thanks folks.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the vim kit should still work because it is basically disabling the mylink thinking that you are driving so all functions should work.

M

mwb235

Hmmm i was thinking that might be the case. I assume it must disable the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) signal wire if VF's have it, or something similar to that. Thanks stooge.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don't know if this information is in any way helpful … but with my Galaxy S4 Mini, our VF1 would read out texts and allow me to send one of about a dozen pre-programmed/hard-coded (in MyLink) responses while the car was moving. That's with Bluetooth connection, I doubt I tried connecting it via USB. Was really useful for responding to the better-half's "I've landed" messages when I was on the way to the airport to pick her up, one of the responses was "I'll be there in 15 minutes" (or similar).

My iPhone SE doesn't allow that functionality, either via Bluetooth or plugged-in.

M

mwb235

I can get a VIM module thst plugs in to the OBDII port, but it's $250. Like forg said it could possibly be the phone. A lot of cash with no gaurantee it'd work. Even tho my OCD doesn't like it, i might just leave it...

Gridlocked

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII SV6 Commodore
Has anyone had the "Dialling failed" message only to wait for a short time and it actually does establish that call? I have a new Samsung A70 phone Bluetooth paired to my 2017 VFII SV6. I'm getting that horrible feeling GMH didn't iron out many bugs from Mylink. I also cannot get the thing to play MP4 video off the USB stick. Dealer didn't supply me with owner manual or a spare key fob, not happy Jan!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Has anyone had the "Dialling failed" message only to wait for a short time and it actually does establish that call? I have a new Samsung A70 phone Bluetooth paired to my 2017 VFII SV6. I'm getting that horrible feeling GMH didn't iron out many bugs from Mylink. I also cannot get the thing to play MP4 video off the USB stick. Dealer didn't supply me with owner manual or a spare key fob, not happy Jan!
VF Mylink isn't compatible with MP4 files, only MP3, .wav and WMA audio files.
I have a Samsung A30 that works fine with Mylink.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

The version of Mylink was crated before 2013 and was very good back in the day. Holden just never upgraded the VF to a newer version. I think it is still good compared to some other manufacturers but not as good as what GM have now in Acadia or even MY20 Colorado