Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reading spark plugs - when to change

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I use compressed air to make sure there is no crud that can get in before working on them thereby keeping threads clean. I guess why they say to chase the thread in that instance may be that those substances require clean surface to work effectively. If you aren't adding loctite etc I wouldn't chase them at all.

I'm the same, the compressor is my companion no matter what I'm cleaning or working on with the car, a good blast of air before disassembly and another blast when refitted and of course it's a good way to help clean the components.

The nozzle sits on the bench next to me while I work.

I also use it to dry anything I'm working on and to blow the water out of the grille and other crevices when I wash the car.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My little compressor died or rather became rather limp. It only builds up to about 32psi slowly :(

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The leaf blower certainly moves a lot more air.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
My little compressor died or rather became rather limp. It only builds up to about 32psi slowly :(
I talked to my "doctor" about my little "compressor" getting limp and building up slowly. He understood what I was talking about.

Oh - we're talking about cleaning engines. (sorry).

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
In alloy heads a dab of anti-seize might be off benefit.

I've done hot and cold. I don't like to burn myself so cold is the preference. I also have reasonably big hands and on some engines struggle to get a grip on the spark plug boot to pull em off without having my hand against the exhaust manifolds so hot is far from ideal. OEM cast exhaust manifolds also like to take off a bit of skin from where the casting mold edges are that tend to be rough.
Do you use copper anti seize or the specific aluminium stuff?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you use copper anti seize or the specific aluminium stuff?

I don't. both my boys Subaru's that I did plugs on seemed to have a decent amount of something on the old plugs that came out. They were also a pain to get out with resistance until they came out of the head. The new plugs going in went in without adding anything as I'm sure there was still enough of the old **** left on the threads in the heads.

I do need to get some new anti-seize though as I don't have any at home. At work we use the fancy ****, the stuff that is rated for use in nuclear facilities/high heat etc.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if ur planning to keep the plugs in for say 5-10 years then use some anti seize but if u change them or check them regularly there is not point to use it

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
The plugs in my vf 6.0 wagon have done 56 thou and still look new,mines tuned.