Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Alloytec] Real SIDI conversion

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
You guys have actually helped a heap with info massive thanks to Steve and rtmpgt you guys have definitely pointed me in the right direction. As for llt vs ly7 yes I'm aware of the llt, I have been extensively looking into the whole 3.6 GM engine line all the way up to the cadillac lf3 and lf4 witch are basically twin turbo ve/vf engines that make 400+ factory haha but thanks heaps for the conversions website I'm hoping it's not too expensive. The other problem you run into with going llt is that there are no injector upgrades so you end up being stuck around 400-450hp and the only hpfp upgrade is to go the V8 lt1 or lt4 pumps or modify the intake and add a whole nother set of port feed injectors. Id love to see if theres a way to use the 4 phase heads on the llt with port injectors but afaik they have very different intakes I believe? Correct if I'm wrong. As for trans yeah there's nothing yet for bolting on a t56 but I know the ay6s are good for about 450tq so decent enough. I was definitely planning on going turbo possibly twin for ease but unsure yet as single turbo kits are insanely expensive and I can weld haha. Any other suggestions for a trans or way to Frankenstein the best of all the engines together lol would be great hoping to crack open the world to the possibilities of the alloytec as the only reason the knock is bad Morse timing chain (mace make a billet or aftermarket one? Correct me stece) and the heads basically can't breath so they gunk up. Add a catch can and the oil can actually last longer than a year from my research. Keep the info coming guys

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
You guys have actually helped a heap with info massive thanks to Steve and rtmpgt you guys have definitely pointed me in the right direction.

Glad we can help!
As for llt vs ly7 yes I'm aware of the llt, I have been extensively looking into the whole 3.6 GM engine line all the way up to the cadillac lf3 and lf4 witch are basically twin turbo ve/vf engines that make 400+ factory haha but thanks heaps for the conversions website I'm hoping it's not too expensive.

Any engine swap is going to be more expensive than you think it is.

Even if you do an LS swap, it's going to be through-the-ass expensive. But, if you've got the dosh to do it, anything is possible.

The other problem you run into with going llt is that there are no injector upgrades so you end up being stuck around 400-450hp and the only hpfp upgrade is to go the V8 lt1 or lt4 pumps or modify the intake and add a whole nother set of port feed injectors.

Twin injectors would be sick, but the control systems associated with that would S U C K to tune, unless you know what you're doing. Also, that'd just add complexity. You're already getting 300-ish hp with an LLT conversion, and the VS is a pretty light platform to begin with. Put it this way, the LLT is about as powerful as some of the HSV 5L V8s of the day, and believe you me, those cars were no slouches.

Id love to see if theres a way to use the 4 phase heads on the llt with port injectors but afaik they have very different intakes I believe? Correct if I'm wrong.

The intake designs between LLT and LY7s are completely different. The heads on the LLT breathe better anyway.

As for trans yeah there's nothing yet for bolting on a t56 but I know the ay6s are good for about 450tq so decent enough. I was definitely planning on going turbo possibly twin for ease but unsure yet as single turbo kits are insanely expensive and I can weld haha.

You can weld, but can you weld cleanly. You have to remember just how friggin'hot turbo manifolds get. That means any dags of weld inside the tubing can break off and furk your turbo impeller. Also, for packaging's sake, twins would be easier. However i'd sort out getting replacement rods and pistons if you're boosting. LLTs and LY7s have very high comp ratios, 11.2:1 and 10.2:1 respectively. Also, the bottom ends tend to go if there's any oil starvation so I'd suggest running a separate oil system for your turbos. That's what Goat Performance does with their twin kits.

But once again, that adds to your costs.

Any other suggestions for a trans or way to Frankenstein the best of all the engines together lol would be great hoping to crack open the world to the possibilities of the alloytec as the only reason the knock is bad Morse timing chain (mace make a billet or aftermarket one? Correct me stece)

There's lots of reasons that they knock. Alloytecs are oil sensitive engines, one major drop in oil pressure and they're toast. I cooked my current LLT because of Rod 6 developing a knock. The two big end bearings on Rod 6 decided to cuddle up and become best friends. It's a shame that friendship cost me a perfectly good engine.

...and the heads basically can't breath so they gunk up. Add a catch can and the oil can actually last longer than a year from my research. Keep the info coming guys

The issue with that is the PCV. LFX and onwards don't have this issue because GM corrected the PCV with a bigger one. The heads flow air into the combustion chamber perfectly fine, in fact they can flow quite well, however it's the PCV system that has issues. Consider that this was once a FWD engine used in Saabs in East-West config. (the 2.8t was the first alloytec, followed by Alfa Romeo's 3.2 JTS, both transverse applications) GM had to design a bunch of other **** to get it to work in a north-south (RWD) application. It wasn't intended to be mounted perfectly vertically in the engine bay, rather at a bit of a slant. This is why the thermostat's in a real shitty place, it also is why they have to use a cartridge oil filter, because the ordinary location for the oil filter in FWD applications would hit the crossmembers in the Zeta platform subframe.

The inequal PCV ventilation between both banks means that one side has a reduced ability to vent crankcase pressure to the intake, and thus it results in your engine getting all tarred up on the inside. This is why you absolutely should change your oil every 5,000kms, even with a catch can.

Also, use a good oil. None of this cheap ****. Penrite HPR5 5w30 fully synthetic, at least.

Best way to tell that someone's poorly maintained their alloytec? Crack the rocker covers off of any older, high mileage example and you'll see that one side will almost always be darker than the other. That's the side with the **** ventilation. that means the PCV's about to block off, which'll cause more of that black **** to go into the oil pickup, into the tiny little timing chain tensioner ports and thus, stretchy stretchy fun times.

Catch cans aren't all created equal either, you need to use one that has a proper air-oil separator or baffle inside it. Don't just go on eBay, buy a shitty catch can for $30 and slap some steel wool in it. No, Go buy something like a Mishimoto one, something that's been properly designed and engineered to work.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
@rtmpgt. The differences between the FWD and RWD versions of the Alloytech are ibvious when you compare their installation in Commodores and Captivas. Mybson had a VZ and we had a Captiva, both 06 builds. There were so many variations to accommodate the FWD installation, it was difficult to believe they were the same basic engines.

Callum433

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vz sv6 manual
Any engine swap is going to be more expensive than you think it is.

Even if you do an LS swap, it's going to be through-the-ass expensive. But, if you've got the dosh to do it, anything is possible

Yeah I agree I was only meaning relative. Some kits now days for a hardware swap (mounting and such only) are way overpriced and can be built or dabbed by someone for cheaper.

Twin injectors would be sick, but the control systems associated with that would S U C K to tune, unless you know what you're doing. Also, that'd just add complexity. You're already getting 300-ish hp with an LLT conversion, and the VS is a pretty light platform to begin with. Put it this way, the LLT is about as powerful as some of the HSV 5L V8s of the day, and believe you me, those cars were no slouches

Twin direct injectors? That's a can of worms I'd rather not get into. After the ly7 they went direct injected and as you say later yes very very different intake intake runners. But I've been going over it lately and even thinking I could maybe get someone to weld up that injector whole in the head and probably on the outside too just for safety (maybe fill it?) Then drill and weld in seats and mounts for top or side feed Injectors. I agree vs's are very light but I'm still tossing up if I want to add the extra cost of the swap. I may even build it into my current daily 2004 sv6 manual.

The intake designs between LLT and LY7s are completely different. The heads on the LLT breathe better anyway

Yeah I know they breath better just thought as I said before I might be able to get rid of the direct Injectors and convert it to port so I get the ability to have way bigger injectors and 4 phase cams with all sorts of other goodies that come with the llt head.

You can weld, but can you weld cleanly. You have to remember just how friggin'hot turbo manifolds get. That means any dags of weld inside the tubing can break off and furk your turbo impeller. Also, for packaging's sake, twins would be easier. However i'd sort out getting replacement rods and pistons if you're boosting. LLTs and LY7s have very high comp ratios, 11.2:1 and 10.2:1 respectively. Also, the bottom ends tend to go if there's any oil starvation so I'd suggest running a separate oil system for your turbos. That's what Goat Performance does with their twin kits.

But once again, that adds to your costs.

Yeah I am aware of hot they can get (especially if I want 2 step or antilag ;) ) i may just get somewhere to fab some ss ones up unless there is a better matieria to use making turbo manis? Yeah I agree twins is what I had in mind for it anyways. And yes the internals will be up to scratch. I found a place I can get big h beams and some cp 8.5:1 forgies for 2k. I've found a company that makes head studs for em and I wanna get a lfx or later forged crank just to be safe so I can turn up the boost. As for oil starvation it's tricky because I did want to try and go electric but can't find a suitable pump. There more than. Likely a way to mod the oil pressure spring just to bump it up and make it safer. So not quite sure witch way to go with that.

The issue with that is the PCV. LFX and onwards don't have this issue because GM corrected the PCV with a bigger one. The heads flow air into the combustion chamber perfectly fine, in fact they can flow quite well, however it's the PCV system that has issues. Consider that this was once a FWD engine used in Saabs in East-West config. (the 2.8t was the first alloytec, followed by Alfa Romeo's 3.2 JTS, both transverse applications) GM had to design a bunch of other **** to get it to work in a north-south (RWD) application. It wasn't intended to be mounted perfectly

Yeah that's what I meant by can't breath. One side has this ******* pissy little pcv and the other side gets nothing. Not the mention half the baffles are in the way of the breather galleries. I had heard they used to be fwd engines but there wasn't much info that I could find directly linking them.

The inequal PCV ventilation between both banks means that one side has a reduced ability to vent crankcase pressure to the intake, and thus it results in your engine getting all tarred up on the inside. This is why you absolutely should change your oil every 5,000kms, even with a catch can.

Also, use a good oil. None of this cheap ****. Penrite HPR5 5w30 fully synthetic, at least.

Yeah I was definitely gonna get a really good catch can and more than likely mod the covers to get the most breathability possible on both banks. What would you recommend for really good oil for these motors? Stock motors yeah 5k Max is when you wanna change the oil. Would it be different because my motor is modified? I may even look at trying to get an lf3 block witch actually has oil squirters I think.

Would be very cool having a trip sleeper V6 vz manual but I guess it depends on the extra price of putting it into a different shell. If anyone has any ideas on transmission options that would be greatly appreciated too. I want to stay manual and I said earlier the 6 speed is alright but will self destruct tuening up the boost. Cheers guys

Cj Cj Craig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf commodore/fj
Ok. So before any of you jump in with silly responses like not worth it or just do LS I'm not interested. I personally don't like V8 so it's off the table. Now to real reason I'm posting. I'm going to be buying a commodore soon as a project car for cheap. Now it'll either be a vs or a vz as I haven't decided yet. either way I go be putting in an SIDI engine. Not one from aus but an SIDI 3.6 v6 none the less. I'm not an expert in commodores and would like some advise (other than don't or its pricey) on how difficult it would be to put one in either vehicle. I'd assume slightly easier in the vz as they already have the alloytec but the more info I can get the better. Thanks in advance

Cj Cj Craig

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf commodore/fj
Hi there mate hows your sidi conversation going.
We have done ve Lfx in speedway car and harness.

rtmpgt

Reaction score
Website
www.pgt.design
Members Ride
2010 VE1.5 SV6 Ute
Yeah I agree I was only meaning relative. Some kits now days for a hardware swap (mounting and such only) are way overpriced and can be built or dabbed by someone for cheaper.

Yeah, but i'd rather rely on something which has had extensive R+D in it compared to some random backyard jobby, but if that's what you gotta do, that's what you gotta do. Especially if it's never been done before.

Twin direct injectors? That's a can of worms I'd rather not get into. After the ly7 they went direct injected and as you say later yes very very different intake intake runners. But I've been going over it lately and even thinking I could maybe get someone to weld up that injector whole in the head and probably on the outside too just for safety (maybe fill it?) Then drill and weld in seats and mounts for top or side feed Injectors. I agree vs's are very light but I'm still tossing up if I want to add the extra cost of the swap. I may even build it into my current daily 2004 sv6 manual.

Take a look at the Toyota 2GR V6 for reference as to how a dual injector setup works. It uses both a port and a direct injector, one pair per cylinder. The port is used during accel to clean the back of the valves, whilst the direct is used during cruise. But that has a unique ECU that has profiles as to when to turn on what set of injectors. It can even let the engine run in an Atkinson cycle to save fuel... Something which our V6s can't do.

Yeah I know they breath better just thought as I said before I might be able to get rid of the direct Injectors and convert it to port so I get the ability to have way bigger injectors and 4 phase cams with all sorts of other goodies that come with the llt head.

Why though? The stock injectors work really well, even under boost apparently. There's no point of going to bigger injectors on an SIDI unless you're throwing like, 20+PSI at your engine. That's the beauty of DI. High fuel pressure and a charge cooling effect.

Yeah I am aware of hot they can get (especially if I want 2 step or antilag ;) ) i may just get somewhere to fab some ss ones up unless there is a better matieria to use making turbo manis? Yeah I agree twins is what I had in mind for it anyways. And yes the internals will be up to scratch. I found a place I can get big h beams and some cp 8.5:1 forgies for 2k. I've found a company that makes head studs for em and I wanna get a lfx or later forged crank just to be safe so I can turn up the boost. As for oil starvation it's tricky because I did want to try and go electric but can't find a suitable pump. There more than. Likely a way to mod the oil pressure spring just to bump it up and make it safer. So not quite sure witch way to go with that.

MACE does custom piston kits for Alloytecs for about $3k afaik. Stock CR on a LFX is about 12:1, so... Low boost or even just leave it NA. It's overkill already in a VS. Remember the LFX makes more than the 5LT Iron Lion ever did... And the VS is already stupidly light compared to the VE/F. If you've ever driven say, a VS clubby, they're damn quick even on a stock tune.

Manifolds? Well, LFX's are easy to make. Just get the flange pattern for the single outlet and the flange pattern for your turbos. Get pipe fabbed between these plates, bob's your uncle. The difficult part is the positioning of your new snail friends and feeding them with an oiling system. I'm working on the oiling front with a remote filter adapter block, as well as a 3x NPT block that goes between the TB and IM (on LLTs at least) so you can install your boost controller, and take a feed for your turbo wastegates. Those IMs are bloody hard to come across and the last thing you want to do is to drill into them. Not sure if the blocks will fit LFXs though, so I'll need a test mule in Perth to see if the block will be compatible. If so, Great. If not, Well, time to design an LFX specific plate.

Progress will be on my site, www.pgt.design and i'll be making posts on here when they come back from my machinist.

Yeah that's what I meant by can't breath. One side has this ******* pissy little pcv and the other side gets nothing. Not the mention half the baffles are in the way of the breather galleries. I had heard they used to be fwd engines but there wasn't much info that I could find directly linking them.

Yep. which is why the PCV mod is necessary. Drill up the hole one step bigger than stock size. They were also originally designed as FWD engines with the PCV side cantered upwards, and the breather side cantered backwards towards the firewall slightly. Hence the baffling in the breather galleries to attempt to equalise pressures in the RWD form. Camaro5 forum's got a guide on how to do that. Doesn't make the HFV6 immune to PCV issues as they affect Captivas like the plague. There was just a lot of oversight from GM's end when it comes to this front.

Yeah I was definitely gonna get a really good catch can and more than likely mod the covers to get the most breathability possible on both banks. What would you recommend for really good oil for these motors? Stock motors yeah 5k Max is when you wanna change the oil. Would it be different because my motor is modified? I may even look at trying to get an lf3 block witch actually has oil squirters I think.

Penrite HPR30 5w30 or any similar fully synthetic oil in a 5W30 grade. The engineers know best on this front.

Don't bother with the LF3 unless you know a guy in the US who can pull it off a wrecked Caddy ATS-V. They're about $16k as a crate engine and you'll need to get it pre-flashed in the US unless you know someone who dabbles in really weird GM stuff. Envyous Customs is by far the only person I know who'd even have a tenth of a clue on how to do that... And that dude's swamped with other work at the moment.

Would be very cool having a trip sleeper V6 vz manual but I guess it depends on the extra price of putting it into a different shell. If anyone has any ideas on transmission options that would be greatly appreciated too. I want to stay manual and I said earlier the 6 speed is alright but will self destruct tuening up the boost. Cheers guys

With the LFX in Australia, you only get the 6L50E automatic. They're also compatible with the Aisin AY6 gearbox found on the VEs and VZs. And you're right. They will blow up with too much power. Usually second gear synchros are what go in them. You could also find the Tremec TR6060 used in the ATS-V, but once again unless someone tracks down a Cadillac ATS-V service manual from the back door of a US caddy dealer, you can't get the PNs you'd need to order the bellhousing, flywheel and clutch to bolt said tranny to the Alloytec. Not to mention you may even need new clutch lines to suit it if the slave cylinder is different.