Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Real world fuel differences with blower

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
PD blowers have bypass system so ur not in boost until u use a desired MAP to when the vacuum holding the bypass open closes and then u make boost quickly from that point, camshaft is also a big changer of MAP so it al works together, on hwy cruse u should be about same as factory its just the getting to cruse that uses more as the rotors are always spinning even bypassed its easy airflow for the cylinders to suck in with light throttle, and u have alot of torque to use so its easy to get carried away in the moment.... for all out power go 2650 or not far behind is the 2300 either are too much for the street anyway

VF Sleeper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
07GTS Interesting comment that both superchargers are too much for the street. I agree with that if you are taking it to red line. I wouldn't say it's too much from 1000rpm to say 4000rpm where it's pretty damm good. This lower end of the rev range is where I spend most of my time on the street. In the auto, a lot of time is spent in the 1k to 2.5k rpm range. For general street drivability, the lower end of the rev range and the supercharger is ideal and I want more down low.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u want more torque E85 is your best friend, ur best friend also loves more boost, warning can get addictive ;)

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I am contemplating a 2300 / 2650 blower for my L77 and was hoping those that have done this can give some commentary around fuel usage?

I appreciate there will be massive increases when into it, but was more interested in the differences when driving sedately with traffic (1500-2000 rpm, 60-80kms etc)

the blower would only being delivering low boost at these revs I assume, so wondering what the fuel usage is like?

cheers
Disclaimer: apples and oranges, or LS1 vs L77

My fuel consumption hasn't changed from cammed NA to cammed and 2300 boosted, UNLESS I'm up it, then all bets are off

Is boosted worth it, even with all the IAT issues and cost, the torque you get down low is amazeballs

Here is my "dyno powers" graph, don't focus on the hp number, look at the area under the curve

The only issue on the street is traction

20220128_211103_resized.jpg

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
I went from a VF1 (muffler delete and CAI) to a VF2 (Magnusen 2300 + cam). Drive it normally with the odd stab here and there , You would probably see a 2-3lt/100km difference. Even less on the freeway.
I'd say the cam would make more of a difference than the blower as far as fuel consumption

cane it, and the difference will be more

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The thing is once you're boosting you get addicted. Out of boost there's an increase, not dramatic but refer to my first sentence. If you want performance from any LS you have to drop the words 'fuel' and 'economy' from your vocabulary and just fill the tank when it needs filling

Personally it's 2650 all the way. Newer design, more efficient and well.... bigger is better

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
4l60e and the new 3:46 gears

Fuel economy, basically cruise control set at 100- 110kph for 99% of the trip

Holsworthy - Goulburn - Canberra- Goulburn- Holsworthy = Averaged out at 9.5L/100 Km

Not bad for a old blown LS1

Previously with 3:9 gears it was 11.5L/100 km on a typical hwy run

The car is a great place to be in cruising along, inside the cabin you can barely hear the growl of the engine

Fuel economy suffers greatly in stop start streer driving at an average of 21.5L=100km, but you expect that with a grumpy V8 making good power

The main reason for the poor fuel economy during daily driving is I like driving with the passengers and drivers window down........it's not the aerodynamics though.......it is that addictive blower, induction and exhaust noise that I like so much, and my right foot loves to deliver the goods

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Damn, you managed to keep cruise control on for most of the trip, you're a well mannered boy :) It never works for me, I start with cruise but then some switch in my brain flips and blower noises must be heard!

I can keep cruise on until I come across some asshole going 90 (or less) in a 100 zone....

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Damn, you managed to keep cruise control on for most of the trip, you're a well mannered boy :) It never works for me, I start with cruise but then some switch in my brain flips and blower noises must be heard!

I can keep cruise on until I come across some asshole going 90 (or less) in a 100 zone....
Then when a passing lane comes up said asshole will speed up to 110-115 kmh so no one can pass :rolleyes: