Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reapers Black VP SS

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
What temps are you reading on the intake during the 0-60mph run? whats the lowest it reaches and what does it start at. Are you getting it down to 40c?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
What temps are you reading on the intake during the 0-60mph run? whats the lowest it reaches and what does it start at. Are you getting it down to 40c?

IAT isn't calibrated yet so temps could be out however like for like it seems to be running around 15 - 20 deg warmer than stigs V6. Way way way higher than 40 deg but as I said - not calibrated. It is fluctuating around 5 deg. (It may even be measured in f - haven't looked)

Reaper

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The charts I've seen always run at 105c at idle and about 60c once it's up and screaming and inbetween that during acceleration. If it's really that hot or there is just lag on the sensor who knows but as you say stigs is 20 cooler then that's alot of power gone missing

thestig

resident misanthrope
Reaction score
Members Ride
E34 535i M - E70 X5 M - E60 M5 - No Fear
IAT isn't calibrated yet so temps could be out however like for like it seems to be running around 15 - 20 deg warmer than stigs V6. Way way way higher than 40 deg but as I said - not calibrated. It is fluctuating around 5 deg. (It may even be measured in f - haven't looked)

Reaper

I found the calibration data for the GM MAT sensor on the GMEMC site earlier this evening. So once we plug that data into our logging software we should be getting figures that are something close to reality. Up to this stage the IAT data we have been logging has only been useful as a relative indicator.

Stay tuned....

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
The charts I've seen always run at 105c at idle and about 60c once it's up and screaming and inbetween that during acceleration. If it's really that hot or there is just lag on the sensor who knows but as you say stigs is 20 cooler then that's alot of power gone missing

Calibrated it and temps seem close to that of the ALDL connector. It idles at around 85 deg and is around the low 60's whilst driving around and as low as 53 when really hoofing it at speed.

Interestingly vehicle speed seems to have more to do with IAT than RPM. At constant speed whilst sitting at around 3000rpm + IAT gradually increases. Will have to make my banana split a higher priority. I'm certain I can lower the temps by insulating the plenium from the motor.

Fuel maps should be completed tomorrow and then we move onto spark. I don't think there is much to be gained there however it will be an interesting exercise to see what different engine/IAT's have on it.

Reaper

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
There's a calculator around to calculate horsepower lose to intake charge heat and it's very disturbing if you punch in 80c and then try 20c :p. I think there's potential for a 15rwhp gain if the manifold is very good on heat alone

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Got some new bits today :D

1 x 4 bolt motor (VK code). A bit greasy but was rebuilt around 5000km ago. Will whack it in an see what happens.
2 x 330mm front slotted rotors and Group A calipers to suit
2 x 280mm rear slotted rotors and Group A calipers to suit
+ a heap of other stuff which will be posted in the "for sale" section soon.

I had never heard of A VP Clubby 5000i but they are great to raid for bits if you ever come across any.

Reaper

DSC00879.jpg

DSC00886-1.jpg

DSC00883.jpg

DSC00885.jpg

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Reaper Has My Motor And Diff!

Save the slusher I pretty much have your entire driveline :D
Better go check under the bonnet to make sure it is still all there.

Reaper

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Oooooo Who's the lucky boy. Should be good to see how much faster it goes on the stock black motor :). I think only half a handfull of non GTS cars got the 4 bolt block