Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Airbag Suspension

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
So I'm considering getting airbags for the rear of my Sedan & was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the following:

1) How low does a standard kit drop down to?
2) How much further would it be with a "super low" (remove bump stops) kit and is this option even worth the hassle of grinding out the bump stops?

Cheers,
Matt

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
maybe you need too think twice. why why why .

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Think you will find that removing the ADR compliant suspension and replacing it with 'air bags' may be illegal. Suggest that you check with RTA (or equivalent Motor Reg. Authorities) in your State.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
All depends on the type of bag you're using. The firestone bags tend to drop a bit lower from memory.

Bags are internally bump stopped, but i would advise against cutting factory bump stops.

VTAngle.jpg

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
Oh interesting
Hadn't considered them to be anything but completely legal but couldn't hurt to look into.
And I agree that taking the bump stops out aint a fantastic move. I was purely speculating and questioning how much drop would be gained without them (one kit I found online says you need to remove them to drop your car lower)
ie. What would the total height of both stops be exactly anyway? 40mm maybe?

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
just take ya springs out bro!!!

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The brand of bag as well as the type, ie drop in or bolt in will alter the ride height.

I have Air Ride bolt in kit and that is typically lower than the drop in kit.

Here are some pics of mine, keeping in mind, thats on 20's with 35 profile and the tyre was sitting against the chassis. I couldve got it a bit lower had I gone 30 profile.

20130831_135441.jpg

20130831_135409.jpg

P1010807.JPG

Mattde

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S1
The brand of bag as well as the type, ie drop in or bolt in will alter the ride height.

I have Air Ride bolt in kit and that is typically lower than the drop in kit.

Here are some pics of mine, keeping in mind, thats on 20's with 35 profile and the tyre was sitting against the chassis. I couldve got it a bit lower had I gone 30 profile.

20130831_135441.jpg

20130831_135409.jpg

P1010807.JPG

Thanks Grennan. Someone who finally knows what I'm talking about.
I was looking at "BOSS" airbags, seem to be good quality but still unsure about chopping my bump stops and drilling holes in my car to secure it (bolt in kit)
Plus a drop in kit is hell easier.
Although since they are the same price... Blah, I just want to turn heads but do you think the "Drop in Kit" will suffice for some major ass drop?

SS-REX

Reaction score
Members Ride
03-VY-SS-UTE
^^^ That looks sick how does it ride on the road?.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Thanks Grennan. Someone who finally knows what I'm talking about.
I was looking at "BOSS" airbags, seem to be good quality but still unsure about chopping my bump stops and drilling holes in my car to secure it (bolt in kit)
Plus a drop in kit is hell easier.
Although since they are the same price... Blah, I just want to turn heads but do you think the "Drop in Kit" will suffice for some major ass drop?

Depends what size wheels you have. Looking at Dirbatua's car, he had 19s (I think) and Drop Ins and his was a good inch higher than mine if not more sitting side by side. Sabbath above he had drop ins and again, smaller wheels. So yes, you will get some major ass drop no matter what you go.

As far as removal goes, with mine, its a replace whole control arm job and weld up the small (or hide) airline holes behind the rear seat. Drop in is obviously a lot easier if you get defected or want to sell the car.

Bags look great, but take advice from someone who has done it and is now trying to sell the car. If I had my time again, id go drop ins. If you go bolt ins, take that extra bit of time to go and get in engineered. Essentially I have to either sell my car as is and take a big hit to price because it is almost impossible to get road worthied unless someone takes it all out and replaces the cut suspension bits or I remove it all myself which, lets be honest, makes the car look less awesome :p

^^^ That looks sick how does it ride on the road?.

Fine. Its a bit boaty at times, really depends how much air you put in. I usually run around 46-48 psi and that puts me at the lowered look but still somewhat legal and its comfy. Less air they arent as stiff and become a little boaty to much air they are very harsh but over standard shocks and springs its not THAT much difference. Dont expect it to handle like coilovers though.

Last edited: