Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear brake(s) issue, possibly damaged?

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Hi,

Seems problem after problem is arising with my 2015 SV6, seems never ending. Can look at my previous issue about fuel here. Anyway, back to this new issue...

Last night it was raining pretty heavily, and noticed when I was reversing into a parking spot that a sound (from the rear left I think but it could be both) was occuring. It sounded like a clunking noise, sort of like a flat tyre thump. So when I parked I jumped out and had a look to see no flat tyre, so I just assumed it must be because of the rain. This morning (no rain), I went for a drive and sure enough that sound was still there but I can only notice it when I'm crawling (between 0-15km/hr). I can switch between reverse and drive and it'll make the noise no matter which direction I'm going in. It seems like it might be something on the rotor as it only happens in like a revolution cycle, maybe every 2 seconds or so. Though it only happens with the brakes on (I think, Ive yet to pay attention with the brakes not on). I have looked at the rotor and couldn't see any damage. Best I can describe the sound is a clunking noise, as if fuel was slapping the side of the tank.

I wish I could record this issue for you guys, but it wouldn't be picked up by the camera as it's very faint but audible enough to hear it. To get this out of the way, no I don't ride the brakes and I don't do burnouts.

Any ideas or comments is greatly appreciated, or if anyone wants me to try something just let me know and I will.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
wheel nuts tight ?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I think you're on the money re fuel slopping around. I have hear it in all our VF's on occasion.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
wheel nuts tight ?
Yep, just checked when I read your reply and they're all tight :)

I think you're on the money re fuel slopping around. I have hear it in all our VF's on occasion.
Hmmm... interesting. It's a flat level road though and I've never heard it before, ever. So I wonder why it could possibly suddenly be present?

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Another oldie but a goodie , tyre damage , a bubble or stone in the tread

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
My money is on fuel slosh as well. Had it in the LS3 Calais (that was even more noticeable being a wagon) and now in the Senator. Generally more prominent when at half a tank or below and at the speeds the OP mentioned.

Although the only difference is it’s not ‘rhythmic’ ie every couple of seconds like the OP’s car is. So perhaps it may be a rotor/brake issue. A good mechanic should be able to sort it out

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Will check that when I go to work in a few hours :) I'll let you know the outcome.

My money is on fuel slosh as well. Had it in the LS3 Calais (that was even more noticeable being a wagon) and now in the Senator. Generally more prominent when at half a tank or below and at the speeds the OP mentioned.

Although the only difference is it’s not ‘rhythmic’ ie every couple of seconds like the OP’s car is. So perhaps it may be a rotor/brake issue. A good mechanic should be able to sort it out
Fuel is in-between 3/4 and full, so not sure if that's the right conditions for fuel sloshing. I'm not 100% positive that it is rhythmic, but it just seems like it because the fuel would have to be sloshing very fast for it to do so. Going to book it into Holden when they're next open, as the starting issue needs to be sorted and as well as this issue.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Nope, nothing there...

@426Cuda @tml678 , You guys were right. I believe it is fuel sloshing around. Turned off the aircon and radio and sped up to about 10kph, slammed on the brakes and sure enough the sound was there and definitely sound like liquid moving back and forth. @tml678 why would this be happening with 3/4 of a tank? I just find it so weird that I've never heard the sloshing before, and all of a sudden now I can.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
As far as I’m aware there are no proper baffles in the tank to prevent it.

Glad you’ve identified the issue though, nothing worse than unknown noises from a newer car :)

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
As far as I’m aware there are no proper baffles in the tank to prevent it.

Glad you’ve identified the issue though, nothing worse than unknown noises from a newer car :)
Ah I see. Yeah thank you, couldn't of figured it out without you guys haha.

Yep I came from a VEII SV6 and definitely couldn't hear any fuel moving around, especially when the throttle position sensor malfunctioned and slammed me into a tree causing an abrupt stop and there was no sound there :p