Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear brake scraping sound

Aaron6.93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Calais L67
Ok so after I've driven my vy for a few minutes i can hear my rear left brakes scraping. If i go fast enough i can't hear it but at low speed its very noticeable. The sound isn't constant as it comes around periodically with the wheel spinning.

I jacked up the left side of the car and with the handbrake off the rear left wheel is quite hard to turn by hand (and almost impossible with the wheel off trying to spin the drum).
I did the same to the right side and its very easy to turn the wheel.

I cannot remove the brake callipers as my socket and ratchet are too big to fit in the small space available.
I've inspected the brake pads and they have plenty of meat left on them and they seem to be seated correctly (they look the same on both sides and i'm only having problems with the left)

Any suggestions?
Do you know what it could be?

How much do you think it might cost if i went to ABS Auto and had them look at it (and fix it)?

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Sounds like a stone caught in behind backing plate or even in HB shoe area. Anythings possible. Remove caliper, pad, carrier, disc/drum and id say youll see the problem. If your taking it in to a shop to get looked at and this is the problem, it should only take 30 minutes all up to sort.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
VYs Hand a hand brake issue - Hand Brake Scrape - Intermittent scraping noises may be heard from the rear of the car while driving. The noise may appear to go away after re-applying hand brake lever. The front lining of the hand brake shoe may contact the inner drum of the rear disc without the hand brake being applied. In mid 2004, a spring was added into production to centralise the park brake shoe in the drum, and reduce the chance of contact when the hand brake is not applied. - Park brake shoe scrape kit (includes 2 brackets and 2 springs) - Part number 92147813

full_force1986

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais LS1
As what edals said, mine was doing this, I adjusted the handbrake using the cog at the rotors and fixed it up. I went as far as pulling off the rotor and disc and gave the hand brake assembly a good clean from all the dust.

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
How did you go?

Aaron6.93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Calais L67
How did you go?

It's still happening. I had a go at it with brake cleaner and it went away but it came back a week later. I've stopped using the the handbrake all together (it didn't really work anyway) and it's gone again and hasn't returned. It's definitely the shoe scraping, what edals said.

Futech

Like a boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7
Run some emery paper over the shoes, put a slight leading edge on them, skim inner drum and set up handbrake correctly. Deadjust cable and adjust internal cog. Then detail handbrake cable in so you have a couple of mm freeplay at the handle. You will have perfect handbrake and you also should not have any more issues with scrapping. Make sure also that the shoes are not bent even slightly as this will also cause issues. See how you go.