Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear brakes no longer working, need help to fix them

Callan Carpenter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive wagon
I've got a vy executive wagon 2003, I recently disabled the rear brakes at the master brake cylinder for certain reasons and I also put a bolt in just so I don't lose any fluid but when I reconnected them their still not working so I've got no handbrake and no rear brakes is there anyway I can fix this or do I have to replace the system?

Edit: the handbrake warning also comes up all the time while driving and it beeps all the time too.

Last edited:

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
did you bleed the rear brakes once they were hooked up again?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
They will definitely need bleeding after being disconnected so try it and see.
Why is handbrake not working did you disconnect that too?
How did you leave the brake lines while they were disconnected? If they were left open that won't help things.

Callan Carpenter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive wagon
They will definitely need bleeding after being disconnected so try it and see.
Why is handbrake not working did you disconnect that too?
How did you leave the brake lines while they were disconnected? If they were left open that won't help things.
They were left open, would I need new handbrake lines and would that fix that issue? Or could I get away with cleaning them somehow?

I'll double check to be 100% sure if it's working or not by putting it In neutral and trying to push the car with the hand brake on and see if it'll move or not.

Edit: just checked to see if handbrake works and it does, i should aslomention that when i put my foot on the brake pedal it goes a bit more then halfway down till I feel something happen would that be cause the brakes need to be blesded?

Last edited:

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The fluid in the open lines would have absorb some moisture. Hopefully not enough to cause damage like rusted calliper pistons.
A good brake fluid flush and bleed would be the first thing to do to get fresh fluid in there.

Callan Carpenter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive wagon
The fluid in the open lines would have absorb some moisture. Hopefully not enough to cause damage like rusted calliper pistons.
A good brake fluid flush and bleed would be the first thing to do to get fresh fluid in there.

They where only left open for maybe 5 minutes at most they I put everything back to normal so hopefully all the system needs is a flush then

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Oh 5 minutes isn't really a problem. It sounded like you were driving around with the rears disconnected for some time.
See how the flush and bleed goes.

Callan Carpenter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy executive wagon
Oh 5 minutes isn't really a problem. It sounded like you were driving around with the rears disconnected for some time.
See how the flush and bleed goes.

Nah as soon as I was done I connected it back up and then the rears just didn't come back, I've only driven to work without the rears today but it's was all connected for that drive and I was expecting them to come good after a bit of fluid pumping into the brakes but it didn't to my surprise, I hope doing that wouldn't make it worse for the car though.
I'll do the flush as soon as I get home and I'll let you know how things go.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Probably air in the lines and possibly in the ABS pump.