Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear brakes upgrade issues

JoeVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SS REDLINE
hey guys

im swapping out the factory pads on my vf2 redline 2017, ive put the new pads in with the factory stainless backing plates and the discs were incredibly hot after a short drive to bed the pads in which are the HPX pads. The car brakes starting sqeeling under 10kms pulling up to a intersection, I pulled out the stainless backing plates and put it all back together went for a drive and the brakes were screaming unbearably under 15kms slowing down, anyone had this problem if so any advice? do I keep the stainless backing plates in and put new copper paste in,

i'll be calling race brakes Sydney tomorrow to see what they say who I bought the pads off

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
Did you machine the rotors?

If changing pad material (different brand/compound) its a good idea to have your rotors machined to remove the layer of old material on the rotor

JoeVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SS REDLINE
Nah never machined them there t3 rotors, il probly just got back to the brembo pads, i only changed for the dust issue

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I don't think it is the friction material of the HPX that cause the noise though, I'd say it has something to do with something else. My HPX are fantastic no dust and no noise at all.

JoeVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SS REDLINE
strange, I don't know its not something I expected to happen.

JoeVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SS REDLINE
Yeah mate i have a full tube of it! Il work it out nothings gets it over me with my cars hahaha

JoeVF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SS REDLINE
tried everything and cant stop the brakes from squealing, disappointing to say the least, il switch back to the factory pads unless I can find another brand that might be ok

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
tried everything and cant stop the brakes from squealing, disappointing to say the least, il switch back to the factory pads unless I can find another brand that might be ok

I used a rubber based product called Disk Brake Quiet from SCA . Remove the backing plate from the pads and coat the back of the pad and the contacting side (contacting the back of the pad ) of the backing plate with a good few coats then sandwich the rubber between the pad and backing plate when dried . I've had reasonable success with this product and don't be scared to make a good thick layer between the two . Be sure to clean all traces of any grease or lubricants before application

Last edited: