Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rear bumper respray, now what looks like stone chips ( star shaped chips cracks )

onlinejames

Reaction score
just before xmas got secondhand rear bumper sprayed, now its got cracks in it, the painter reckons they are from stone chips
would this be correct, ive never had this problem before, i live on a dirt road
he told me that stones hitting the back of the bumper caused the paint chips, all up there is 4 or 5 on the back bar on the lower edge

Attachments

• IMGP3396b.JPG
    IMGP3396b.JPG
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,754

VTProductions

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE BERLINA 07
his right they are probably from stones but a good paint job shouldnt get stone chips that bad. theres a heating process etc etc one isnt done probably will cause the paint to go all wrong

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Thats delaminating.
Meaning it hasn't adhered to the surface. Which means the painter didn't do his job properly.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
I agree with soop..

If its on the back of the bumper you wont get stone chips there unless towing.

Also you can see the paint is lifting, a chip wouldn't cause that. Its not bonded to the surface underneath properly. If it was a normal stone chip it would just have a small speck of missing paint and no lifting around it.

If its on the side you would see scratches from other stones, from that pic I can see at least 3 more of the same forming to the left of the main 2.

Looks like he didn't do a good prep job.

wildss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vnss
i reckon the painter didnt sand the bar, he just sprayed some adhesion promoter on and hit it with color.
how much did you get charged? was the s/h bar in good condition?

White Tiger

Semper Fidelis
Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VY Berlina, RB30 GQ Patrol
my spoiler looks like that where i didn't do the prep work properly
a rushed impatient job usually turns out bad

chooky1980

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
vh sl/e,vk berlina
i agree with what everyone else has said,even though the stones flicking up from underneath the car into the inside of the rear bar caused it there's no doubt it would have eventually peeled anyway.
ive seen this many times but not as bad as yours

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
That is certainly not just stione chips. The paint is lifting, like said above. And stone chips should not cause this to occur. It certainly looks as though the prep wasn't done properly, no question about it. Take it back and demand he re-do it, or better yet a full refund and take it elsewhere!
And I would also like to know how much the "painter" charged you for that shocking job?

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
Stone Chips? Geez they have magically just marked the paint and not the undercoat or plastic beneath it? Not. Looks like as mentioned above, the paint didn't stick properly in the first place.