Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear caliper

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn vacationer auto v6 sedan
Hi just got back from 8000km big trip , car ran fine , except last day left back wheel gets the squeal up every time brakes are applied , bugger just put new pads in a month ago . When i did it then i noticed only one pad was worn ,the left inner down to the bone ! , what gives ?, i fear the same has happened again , cheers.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
I had the same issue, did you lube your caliper piston, the bit that pushes your pads onto the disks. After I did that and new pads, the brakes are sooo responsive, I would say better than my VE series 2.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Don't lube the caliper pistons,lube the slides, there's 2 of them, one will be seized so get some wd40 and vice grips and wriggle away.

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for replies , i reckon your right with the slides , ill give it a go latter today, cheers.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
Thanks for replies , i reckon your right with the slides , ill give it a go latter today, cheers.

Easier way is to find a drill bit just smaller than the slide bore, select reverse and drill away while adding WD40 as lubricant.

This will remove the rust and debris from the slide bore and won't cut into bore as you are drilling in reverse.

Add some wheel bearing grease or rubber grease or anti seize compound onto the slides before reassembly. Make sure slide boots aren't cut or perished.

ab56452001

Reaction score
Members Ride
O'K' , ive just replaced the outer pad , the other was fine , last time it was the other way round ! , the slides came out easy, still i regreased em , the piston went in easy enough aswell , i cant work out what causes it ? , cheers.

Phantom

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SV6 Sportwagon series 2 and a VY exec 2
Don't lube the caliper pistons,lube the slides, there's 2 of them, one will be seized so get some wd40 and vice grips and wriggle away.
yes sorry that is what I meant, nice one richardpalinkas

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Haha all good. I was thinking geez that's unusual to lube the piston haha.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
What could have happened is that there could have been an airlock in the slides, so when the brakes are off, the slides are pressing the outer pad against the rotor. Bit weird the outer pad wore faster though.