Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear clunking sound when hitting bumps!

Nemesis_Dawn

Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 VX SS A4
A new day, a new problem in my commie. I have bought and fixed everything that's related to the undercarriage of the car, and that includes control arms, most of the bushings, engine & tranny & diff & suspension mounts, etc...

Now, I hear a squeaking coming from the rear left side when driving normally, but when I hit a bump it turns into this loud clunking sound. And I noticed that if I hit the brakes while turning and then go straight, I hear this grinding sound as if the caliper is stuck. So what I do is stop by the side of the road, turn off the car and pump the brakes till it locks, start again and the problem mostly disappears till it comes back.

Another thing I noticed is that when I go on a highway, I hear bass-y, low pitched kind of sound from the rear whenever I have my foot on the gas and disappears when I let off the gas (accompanied by the clunking I mentioned and the feeling of a stuck caliper)

At this point I don't know what else to do. I seem to have a leak from one of the CV axles, which I'll fix soon, but I don't think this is the source of my problems.

sZGMLJL.jpg

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Wheel bearing, CV Joint, or diff nackered?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Is that drive shaft hitting/scraping on the exhaust ?
Check fitting of caliper for tightness, also for operation, that is check that the caliper slides etc are operating correctly.
Don't have a rattling tow bar tongue do you ?
Like greenacc, I am thinking cv joint.

D

devilly

I would grab a grease gun and fill the broken rubber will grease then you will know if it's the cause.

D

devilly

I would grab a grease gun and fill the broken rubber will grease then you will know if it's the cause.

D

devilly

if you have to change out the drive shafts make sure you clean the bolt heads properly.

D

devilly

damn not working delete please admin

Last edited by a moderator: