Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear control arm?

DannyVK88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
Has anyone replaced VX exec series II lower rear control arm?

Just wondering what tools are needed and any steps involved.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel Fisher

Last edited:

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
half way through changing both of mine atm.
You will need an 8 mm allen key and flare nut spanner for the break line will give you many less headaches as the brake lines are made of soft aluminium, so round off quite easily with an open ended spanner (can't use the ring), they also bind up, so getting that first crack is the hard part.
You will need to disconnect the handbrake, brake lines, brake calliper and rotor, stabiliser bar link to the control arm, drive shaft (allen keys needed - if first time taking it off, it will require a fair bit of force, so don't use a cheap allen key or you will be disapointed) and I think that is it. As long as you have the standard bushes, not the adjustable ones, it shouldn't be too hard

DannyVK88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
Thanks for that info mate will help heaps

I am pretty sure it has the adjustable ones on it but i should be allright.

Where did you get your new arms from?
cheapest way for me was have them posted from victoria.

holden wanted $1080ea and my uncle works for amcap and couldnt get them for any less than $750ea

jazza15

Jarryd
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT II S
you have a series 2, so you have the toe adjuster link and therefore 1 adjustable bush on either side max, if they have been fitted.
Why are you replacing the control arm?
No need to buy a new one as used ones are fine. The same can not be said about front bearings as they will cease up or damage easily. The rear control arms and integrated bearing a very hardy and last ages, so a second hand changeover unit is a viable option.
Easily get one for around 50-$100 from your local wreckers.

DannyVK88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
I ended up getting one from a wreckers in vic for 175 delivered as nearly all wreckers in perth wanted 300 - 450 i wouldnt have a clue why as it just looks like pressed steel.

I am just changing the left hand one on my sisters car as it rolled down a driveway and hit a patio post across the road and its bent in.
It pushed all the qtr panel in and then hit the tyre and stopped, pretty lucky another inch and it would have gone thru the guys house.

DannyVK88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
Damn got 4 of the drive shaft bolts loose the last 2 just won't budge, did you use something to lever the Allen key. I tried a jack but couldn't get the right angle.

hsv-maloo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu maloo
Damn got 4 of the drive shaft bolts loose the last 2 just won't budge, did you use something to lever the Allen key. I tried a jack but couldn't get the right angle.

mate,, you need a allen key socket,,and a breaker bar,,to hard with the allen key,,if you round off the allen key bolt,,use a strong hammer and belt the head of the bolt untill it flattens out a bit, then use the allen key socket, hammer that in,,make sure there is no dirt in the hole, and dont leaver on an angle, if its gonna slip, take out and hammer the bolt again,, lve done plenty, never had one that never came out,, but l have some assholes thou....

DannyVK88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Executive
Cheers mate, that got it, finally got all of it out.
Worst part of the job was the bolt closest to the door on the control arm bush, it doesnt allow room to get it right out, it's hitting the panel but still in the bracket 3/4 of an inch, is that ment to be like that?
Also do you know how to remove the hub from the control arm.

happyhoppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt series one
Does anyone know if you can swap a vt rear control arm into vz?