Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear diff noise...

Warrenj_VXR

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb COMMODORE VXR
Well reporting back after service visit today.

When I dropped the car they asked me to wait for the Holden Foreman to go for a drive with me. He noticed the sound straight away.

He showed me from what I could work out was a tech line report which advised to change the gear oil.

He said that the oil is hard to find at the moment as it’s expensive and replaces the standard oil in the diff.

Picked it up this arvo and seems good as new. I will test things out over the weekend to ensure it’s sorted...

I think I am having the same issue, started to hear a noise a week or so ago, took to local mechanic thinking it might be a wheel bearing but there was no play in the wheel and they couldnt hear the noise.

i have since learnt the noise gets worseas it warms up or longer trips.

what dealer in wagga did you use as I am only 70km down the road ??

knight001

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB MY19 Holden Commodore VXR A9 3.6Ltr
I think I am having the same issue, started to hear a noise a week or so ago, took to local mechanic thinking it might be a wheel bearing but there was no play in the wheel and they couldnt hear the noise.

i have since learnt the noise gets worseas it warms up or longer trips.

what dealer in wagga did you use as I am only 70km down the road ??

Hello…

I went to my local Holden dealership here in Sydney and they replaced the rear diff oil. I am still not convinced this is a long term fix as I hear a lot of other owners have had rear differential replaced. I tried to get that done with my car however they refused and said oil change is all that they allowed to offer as per Holden guidelines. I think BS but anyways. The noise is gone, but the car doesn’t seem to be as smooth as it used to be and I only have 35,000kms on the odometer.

Good luck and let me know how you go :)

Steve xb18.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 zb Calais tourer
I had same problem with my 2018 Calais tourer, the local 'holden' dealer admitted that the rear difs are problematic and replaced it ,took a couple of weeks to get one and 2 days to fit. I also had the dif drive shafts oil seals replaced earlier on,due to them leaking, I suspect that the difs were probably under filled at the factory, causing the clutch plates and oil seals to wear prematurely, to the guy who's dealer topped up the oil to fix the problem I have 2 suggestions,1 ,that should of all of been covered by warranty, if the oil was low then there must have been a leak, the repair and oil replacement are warranty items.,2 ,if the difs been low on oil the damage is allready done, or to put it in layman's terms, she's stuffed mate, the oil is merely masking the problem until your warranty runs out, at which time I imagine it could easily be a 5 or 6 grand fix. I have a Nissan 370z that had a ignition switch problem, that prevented the car from being started, out of warranty,it cost $1890 to get fixed. If it was me I would be taking it back to the dealer, or a different dealer some are obviously better than others, and saying that there is definitely still something wrong with the dif and it needs replacing, even ring Holden warranty and complain.

Nicko67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore ZB AWD
Hi all....

So just had the 24,000km service and was able to duck away to Wagga Wagga for the Easter break.

So now that I’m back I have noticed a noise coming from the rear when I’m driving and turning right majority of the time.

Also if I’m feathering the accelerator pedal or reversing low speed.

I’m booked in tomorrow for it to be checked and hoping it’s not a major deal. Also hopefully the dealer will hear it as it seems to be the loudest on cold starts....

Anyone had this issue or had it fixed? Any advice or details I can share with dealer would be appreciated.

2019 ZB Commodore VXR.
Cheers... Tim
Hey mate, I had a similar issue with my 2018 ZB v6 awd, started as a clunk and drumming noise in rear when feathereing the accelerator in low gear. Two Services done and they couldn't hear it??? Worse when cold! Problem got worse and cars now done 70000 kms and progressed to a rear end grinding noise with slipping gears also.
Now at Holden service with buggered diff, waiting on an eta on fix time. Still under new car warranty thankfully.

John a

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zb rsv
Hi all....

So just had the 24,000km service and was able to duck away to Wagga Wagga for the Easter break.

So now that I’m back I have noticed a noise coming from the rear when I’m driving and turning right majority of the time.

Also if I’m feathering the accelerator pedal or reversing low speed.

I’m booked in tomorrow for it to be checked and hoping it’s not a major deal. Also hopefully the dealer will hear it as it seems to be the loudest on cold starts....

Anyone had this issue or had it fixed? Any advice or details I can share with dealer would be appreciated.

2019 ZB Commodore VXR.
Cheers... Tim
Thats what happened to mine right turns only louder going around roundabouts. replaced under warranty.nothing to do with the oil.its the electronics thats what holdens told me.must be a known issue as there was no discussion they came straight out and said will be replaced under warranty. That was at 28000 km.