Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear End Accidents

smyth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there are any exceptions to the rules in NSW around rear to tail accidents when the trailing car is at fault?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I would of thought the trailing car was always at fault?

smyth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Yeah I'm not completely sure, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that there were some exceptions. For example if the lead car deliberately locks up or "break tests" the trailing car etc. Not really sure though I couldn't find anything one way or the other on the rta website.

Christina

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost genuine VT "S" + VZ "SS" Red Ute + Vk V8
Keep that 5 second distance... nothing worse than tail-gaters, I put my hazzards on if you're getting up my behind... good party trick.

Last edited:

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
nup, always the car at the backs fault - no matter what the circumstance.
the bloke infront could diliberately chuck on the handbrake at 100k's/hr and if you run up the back of him its your fault.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
a bloke i worked with was at a set of traffic lights on a hill one time and the driver of the car in front couldnt do a hill start properly and rolled back into his car. naturally they got out and exchanged insurance details. a few weeks later he got a bill in the mail for damages to her car because she said that he ran into the back fo her.

he called her up and told her where to go and to check the police report he made the afternoon it happened. of course, he didnt end up paying :)

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
nup, always the car at the backs fault - no matter what the circumstance.
the bloke infront could diliberately chuck on the handbrake at 100k's/hr and if you run up the back of him its your fault.

this is a terrible misconception (in vic at least).
the driver in front CAN and at times HAS been found to be at fault. It is to do with driving safely. slamming the brakes unnecessarily is not considered safe driving.

no matter how many people say "the car at the back is 100% to blame" don't listen to them. Very common misconception.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
a bloke i worked with was at a set of traffic lights on a hill one time and the driver of the car in front couldnt do a hill start properly and rolled back into his car. naturally they got out and exchanged insurance details. a few weeks later he got a bill in the mail for damages to her car because she said that he ran into the back fo her.

he called her up and told her where to go and to check the police report he made the afternoon it happened. of course, he didnt end up paying :)

i heard that you could still be at fault if someone rolls back into you, cos you didn't leave enough room ahead of you. i suppose it depends on how much space there is, but i've seen some seriously retarded hillstart attempts.

anyone else heard anything about this?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
this is a terrible misconception (in vic at least).
the driver in front CAN and at times HAS been found to be at fault. It is to do with driving safely. slamming the brakes unnecessarily is not considered safe driving.

no matter how many people say "the car at the back is 100% to blame" don't listen to them. Very common misconception.

How can you prove without video evidence that there WASNT a danger to brake hmm?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
How can you prove without video evidence that there WASNT a danger to brake hmm?

exactly - thus, if you run up the back of someone YOUR at fault....doesnt matter what the circumstance is. if two cars are travelling the same direction its always the person behind at fault in a rear end collision.