Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear End Vibration

Cat89

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Maloo
Hi,
Putting this out there to see if anyone else has had this problem. I have a VE Maloo manual running at 450rwhp. I have had the vehicle for 10 years and clocked up 320,000. Car is still like new and I seriously look after this beast.
Recently I did a centre bearing around 2 months ago and for some time previous to the centre bearing failure have had an annoying vibration when accelerating hard in 1st and 2nd gear just as the torque comes. Incidentally yes I have also had the drive couplings changed out at the time the centre bearing was replaced.

The vibration feels like it coming from the left rear axle. Also when climbing a steep hill in second the vibration is really noticeable and once driven for a couple of days after its easy to feel this vibration but "settles down" after these couple of days and I can sort of drive around it if you get my drift.

No bearing or gear noises are evident and I cannot see any broken/worn bushing in the rear end/diff housing.

Thanks in advance

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I'd be looking at replacing the rear bushes just going by the ks alone.
Good chance that would fix it and save you time trying to identify the source.
If that's not it well you have a nice new set of bushes to enjoy and youve eliminated that possibility.

pnlimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice L98
I'd be checking the LH rear wheel bearing. At those high kilometers it would be surprising if it hasn't started to wear, assuming it hasn't been previously replaced.