Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Engine Seal Cover

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Hi
I am new to this forum so I am hopeful someone out there can help me.
My VX SS is leaking oil out of the rear engine plate that houses the rear main seal.
My mechanic has told me that to re-seal the plate he has to drop the sump which means dropping the front end's K Frame.
From what I have read including the repair manual, the sump does not have to be dropped - you drop the gearbox, take off the clutch and flywheel assembly and then take off the cover seal.
Can someone verify whether or not what I am saying is correct - that the sump does NOT have to be dropped in order to re-seal the rear engine plate.
Thanks heaps.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Sump does NOT have to be removed. I've done the job myself. But you need to make sure you use the proper alignment tool which I doubt most workshops would have. Without the tool you're taking a gamble - it may seal for a while or it may leak straight away.

You can use a good set of verniers to ensure it's centred around the crank if the seal hasn't been pushed into the plate yet but it takes a bit of messing around.

Despite what you read, rear main seal is one of the less common causes for leaks. First places to look:
-rocker cover gaskets
-oil pressure sender
-valley plate gasket
-sump gasket

Sump can be removed with the engine still in the car but the K frame needs to be dropped for clearance.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Sump does not have to be removed to replace either the rear main seal or the rear main plate assembly

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Sump does NOT have to be removed. I've done the job myself. But you need to make sure you use the proper alignment tool which I doubt most workshops would have. Without the tool you're taking a gamble - it may seal for a while or it may leak straight away.

You can use a good set of verniers to ensure it's centred around the crank if the seal hasn't been pushed into the plate yet but it takes a bit of messing around.

Despite what you read, rear main seal is one of the less common causes for leaks. First places to look:
-rocker cover gaskets
-oil pressure sender
-valley plate gasket
-sump gasket

Sump can be removed with the engine still in the car but the K frame needs to be dropped for clearance.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
But, for the extra 3 hours or so...reseal the sump at the same time.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
might as well do the sump while you are in there.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Don't know if this is still relevant but someone posted this PDF on the LS1 site many years ago supposedly from a GM workshop manual, it may have been before you could buy the plate with the seal in position.

Attachments

• VT2 V8 Rear Main Replacement.pdf
    156 KB · Views: 224