Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear engine seal leak - quick fix?

CliveSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Thunder Ute - L76 Auto
My 2006 VZ Alloytec ute developed a small engine oil leak at around 120,000 km. Have had vehicle from new and never abused it. Correct oil, changed every 10,000 km.

By process of elimination it appears that the rear engine seal is at fault, resulting in small drops of oil dripping from the low point of the bell housing.

Quite a big job to replace the seal, so I decided to try a low cost option.

About a week after I first noticed the leak I added a bottle of Nulon Engine Stop Leaks. Drove the ute for a couple of weeks on several longish trips. After 1,000 km and two weeks the engine no longer leaks.

Not sure how long the motor will remain oil tight, but result so far could not be better.

I will update this post after travelling a further 10,000 km or sooner if the leak re appears.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Never tried it but curious is that gear like an oil thickener that merely stops the leak by making it harder for the oil to get past by making it thicker? Or is it like the Wynns auto trans treatment that from reports from my well known trans bloke does seem to condition the seals and make them softer? If it's thick like some products I don't know that it really has softened the seal but I'm happy to be wrong.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
while you have a reprieve, save your pennies....

mechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Most oil stop-leak chemicals work by causing the rubber seals to swell and tighten around whatever they are sealing.
This is usually stops the leak temporarily, but shortens whatever remaining life was in the seal.

It also only works once.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
if you have thickend the oil you might get more problems