Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear exhaust pipe snapped off from muffler... help please?

Shhtef

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 9C1
So forgive me if I sound like a complete novice, I don't know the total ins and outs of the mechanics of cars so don't make fun haha, I'll try explain as best I can.

Rear end of exhaust pipe fell off when driving one day, had noticed a sputtering sound for a while so probably was loose. Completely snapped off right at the base of the front muffler. Mufflers still bolted on but missing entire rear section of exhaust. I was given a redback exhaust from a mate (he doesn't know exactly what one but was professionally fitted, maybe 2.5"?), just given the front section up until the bend after the middle muffler. Came off his VZ v6 crewman though so just wondering if it will fit my VZ v6 sedan and what extra I need to get done/buy? Can i get my rear pipe cut and welded to the new exhaust? Will I need to buy a new tailpipe? I was told by some mates that the old exhaust won't be able to be welded back up or if I do it'll come loose fairly quickly anyway.

Very shitty picture but obviously circled part is the muffler still attached. Original exhaust was a 2.5".

So the back part is the middle section of redback exhaust off the crewman, and the front part is the section that fell off my car. Part that snapped off is all rusted.

So can someone dumb it down for me who knows what I gotta do? Can I just get someone to weld the pipes and bolt it on or do I have to buy more parts if the new exhaust won't fit. Is it something i best get done by a professional or is it an easy enough job for a more knowledgable mate of mine to do ?

Cheers in advance!

Attachments

• JC - 1.jpg
    JC - 1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 810
  • jc - 2.jpg
    jc - 2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,254

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
you will need a new exhaust crewman one won't fit

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
As you've admitted, you knowledge of motor vehicle related matters is lacking, I suggest that you take your vehicle to a reputable Exhaust Shop and have them repair/replace faulty components.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
As Munz said, the Crewman exhaust won't fit, not even close.

I can send you a 2 1/2" cat back that will bolt up for $295. Comes with front muffler and rear resonator. Nice and deep, no drone.

Shhtef

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 9C1
Well the reason i'm asking is so that i can perhaps build my knowledge yeah? I'm obviously not going to attempt to do it myself but I'd like to know what I can do to perhaps reduce costs, parts I need to buy etc.

Shhtef

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive 9C1
Thanks, I'll probs try find one a bit closer shouldn't be too hard :)