Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear fog lights

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Hi all,

I did a search but couldn't seem to find anything on this topic.
Its been foggy the past couple of days here and I was looking for the rear fog light switch in my new (to me) gen-f R8.
I've had a proper look round the cabin and even consulted the handbook, it's not mentioned anywhere. Do VF/gen-f even have rear fogs?
The actual requirement to use them is few and far between, but its nice to know where they are!

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Outer rear reds on the cars are brake/tail. Inners on the actual boot are just plain tail. No rear fog lights on any commodore I’ve ever seen.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Outer rear reds on the cars are brake/tail. Inners on the actual boot are just plain tail. No rear fog lights on any commodore I’ve ever seen.

OK, thanks buddy. I had figured as much. Is it typical of Aus cars not to have them? I'm recently moved from UK where its standard.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
It's not a requirement here to have them fitted as standard as we probably don't suffer from fog as much as some countries. That said I have a dual colour light bar fitted (white or amber) to the front of my VF as the fog on the freeway south of Sydney can be foggy on a regular basis. I looked at rear options but they all looked cheap

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Yeah, you can really spot the bolt on fog lights, tricky to get them integrated and you just end up with a blister on the bumper.

The newer version of this is cheapo reversing cameras (sometime factory fitted) that look like a wedge stuck on the tailgate.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Yeah, you can really spot the bolt on fog lights, tricky to get them integrated and you just end up with a blister on the bumper.

The newer version of this is cheapo reversing cameras (sometime factory fitted) that look like a wedge stuck on the tailgate.

Same with the aftermarket DRL kits people buy o_O

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
OK, thanks buddy. I had figured as much. Is it typical of Aus cars not to have them? I'm recently moved from UK where its standard.
Yes probably some of the most notable examples where the HSV models that made it into the Vauxhall lineup...Vauxhall models often had a largish fog light in the middle of the rear bumper but you won’t see any such thing in the HSV lineup out here.

Welcome to Oz anyway!!

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Yes probably some of the most notable examples where the HSV models that made it into the Vauxhall lineup...Vauxhall models often had a largish fog light in the middle of the rear bumper but you won’t see any such thing in the HSV lineup out here.

Welcome to Oz anyway!!

Aah yes, a quick google search shows where they put it. Doesn't look too bad in all fairness. It was barely needed where I lived in the country in the UK, so city life here should be nonexistent!

Thanks, it's a half return for me as I was here for a bit when I was young. Now I can drive though :D

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Segue … are rear fog lights really any more effective than a set of tail lights?

I had a Liberty ("Legacy" for Derek :)) which had rear fogs, which made me notice all the numpties driving around with their Liberty rear fogs on, which made me notice that Oops I also had mine on because the switch wasn't visible from the driving position & it was easy to bump it with your knee while climbing in. :D Anyhoo, my point was intended to be that I didn't think they were appreciably brighter than tail-lights, and only really noticed they were on (in other cars) because the headlights weren't on.

Hencely, if you just drove around with your parkers on, that'd have the same effect?

*edit*
Ooh, another thought - were foggies ever an option for a VF? I assume the DRL's are a mandated thing so you couldn't replace them with fog lights - or could you? 'Cos you can't drive around with fogs on unless it's foggy, so it would take away the DRL functionality (although my Volvo DRL's are barely perceptibly different to the parkers - I reckon having VF parkers on has the same effect as DRL's).

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I think they are, but only in very heavy fog. Their brightness is about that of a brake light, but permanently on.
In a proper pea-souper you lose standard rear lights quite soon (especially in the daytime), but fogs cut through that bit more.

The main issue is that people treat them as permanent items; "its foggy now, therefore I'm going to have them on for the entire journey". Nothing worse than being in a queue of traffic and being blinded by fogs.
My rule was, if its foggy and you can't see any lights behind you, put them on, but once you see headlights, turn them off.

Top Gear UK had a great bit where they did a pensioners car, with a giant fog light switch that connected to nothing!