Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Park Aid Assist Fault

degeneration

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon
I'm having a park aid assist problem. (Have searched!)

It's a 2010 sportwagon with no towbar. Firstly the display would chime with the "park aid assist fail" at completely random intervals. When not chiming it would work normally. After a few weeks of the very annoying chiming I was about to kill or dismember the chime and it stopped acting up intermittently. Now it just comes up with the fault at startup, and the message stays on the bottom of the display while the car's going.

The intermittent nature led me to believe that maybe there was a bad connection somewhere.

What I have tried is listening to the transducers while ign is on and car in reverse. No noise from them. Removed bumper, and refitted & CRC226'ed the connectors on the sensors. Tried to refit the connector at the LHS of bumper, but couldn't work out how to undo it so I left it.

I can't afford to get this fixed by the dealer at the moment, so I was wondering if any gurus might be able to assist with some diagnostic/fault finding ideas. I'd like to get whatever I need from a wrecker if possible.

First question specifically is how do you undo that connector on the near-side under the bumper?

Second would be where is the electronics module? Behind the near side panel somewhere near the battery?

Third is can I just go to a wrecker, buy the module, swap them over? Or does there need to be some sort of programming done to the canbus?

Fourth does this post belong in electrical/wiring? sorry for such a long post hope somoeone gets the gist!

Thanks for any help.

ubugger

Reaction score
The plug under the bumper at the rear is quite difficult to undo as it has a rubber seal and just sticks... When sticking your hand up under the bumper you should be able to feel something you can press in and then you need to pull it out... The top half of the plug is attached to the body with a plastic lug, so shouldn't come off. You should be able to work it out easy enough but mine was mega stiff to get off.

Use a multimeter to test the pins on all sensors and see if one measures different, maybe you'll be lucky (about $65 from Holden) and it is just a faulty sensor... Misalignments in the sensors or being popped into the bar can cause similar issues.

The module itself is in the boot area, if you take the interior trim piece over the battery off you can see it just forward of the positive terminal, that is it, right there!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

degeneration

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE sportwagon
Thanks for the input. I would have thought this is a much more common problem than it seems! :rofl2:

I have actually read from the BMW site (GM uses the same Bosch module and sensors apparently) that if there is no clicking from any of the transducers (as here), then the fault's highly unlikely to be an individual transducer as if one fails, the others should still be operating (and making a noise).

The plug must have a catch somewhere, but I can't work out what kind it is, and really don't want to break it.

It's definitely not a case of misalignment, or bumps as not one of the transducers is operating.

I guess it's off to the wreckers for a module and a $50 gamble.